FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suraj Shah
After Effects
on May 2, 2018 at 9:00:02 pm

Hi,

I am trying to understand how the speed walking effect at 15 seconds in the following video is constructed:

I believe it is done in after effects but I cannot fully figure it out as the people in the video are still...

Any help would be appreciate, including youtube tutorials if you have come across these before.

Many thanks
S

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: After Effects
on May 2, 2018 at 10:15:02 pm

That's just a time ramp on the footage and lots of blur. (motion blur can hide infinite sins)
Option 1)
The environment (including the walkway) may be CG (I think I can see the poly facets, but that may be chain link of the railing)
When we do these kinds of shots, we will do a VR movie of each actor in the shot - a spin around so we have a frame of every angle of them. Then we time warp the footage of the people who have been rendered and use that as a texture on flat cards in the CG world so they appear to face the right way even though the camera is moving around them - the frame is picked based on camera angle and the card always faces camera. So yes, stills of a sort, and certainly architectural "cards" but with the moving texture it can seem like they have volume. Its kind of a reverse bullet-time.

Option2)
The other option is that its real and simply sped up. Did they tell everyone to stay still while the camera person walked the path? This would work. A few people move a little.
I think this is more probable but because they have so much of the archi- previz in the video they may have used part of the animated selling package before the place was built.

Return to posts index

Derek Bavin
on May 3, 2018 at 6:05:29 pm

If you google Hyperlapse you can find that this trick is fairly simple. The camera takes a still photo, moves slightly forward, and takes another still photo.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 3, 2018 at 8:16:56 pm

Re hyperlapse: I don't think that's the case here. Hyperlapse tends to add distortion to the images as it tries to line up objects from one image to the other and I don't see any of that here. But the bigger tell is that because hyperlapse is brought to bear on a number of stills taken at different times (usually farther apart in time than an equivalent running video of a tour) the people move chaotically or even disappear.
A simple radial blur (set to zoom) on sped up footage of a walkthrough would get you there. If you have the choice, just get your crowd to hold still while you walk the camera through the shot - even they aren't perfectly still the shot will be so chaotic you wont' notice it. There is a Seal music video that did this sort of thing. (in Paris I think)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2018 at 11:07:54 pm

I too like the Time Remapping idea.
Set up the shoot... get a good Steadicam operator... tell the people to hold still... get the shot... a piece of cake, comparatively.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]