FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Particular Emitter Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Thompson
Trapcode Particular Emitter Issue
on Apr 28, 2018 at 10:21:00 am

Hi everyone, hoping I could get some help with this:

I am trying to emit particles from a layer, everything is working except the emitter size options are greyed out but tutorials mention I need to set that to zero. I feel that must be why my particles are too dispersed around the layer I'm using and I want it tighter but can't find any other parameters to change to do that. I'm wondering if it's the latest version of particular which has the emitter size options greyed out but I want to know if there is anyway I can access them to alter?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Trapcode Particular Emitter Issue
on Apr 28, 2018 at 3:54:14 pm

I'm not a Particular expert by any means, but I can confirm that in the latest version of Particular (3.1.0) the Emitter Size options are greyed out when using "Layer" as the Emitter Type. It seems to me that this would be normal, as adjusting the size of the layer being used as the emitter is the same as adjusting emitter size. I don't remember, but it's possible that in previous versions the Emitter Size settings would adjust the size of the layer being used, which Red Giant/Trapcode may have realized is redundant, and thus greyed it out, or may have been superseded by other settings such as Direction. (Red Giant's help page, in its tutorial on Emitting Particles From Layers, does say to "Set Emitter> Emitter Size Z to 0," which may just be a remnant from an older version of Particular.)

As the emission of particles is going to be spread around the entire area of the emitter (in this case, the chosen layer), to fill in the dispersal of particles increase the Particles/Sec. The "Direction" and "Direction Spread" settings will also affect dispersal. If you want to restrict the emission of particles to a certain area of the layer you could create a mask around the desired area and then select "Masks" in the Layer Emitter > Layer - Source window. In order to still have the whole layer visible, rather than just the masked area, you could duplicate the layer and give the duplicate a new name so that Particular isn't trying to use both.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:57:00 am

Thanks so much for replying, I'm wondering if maybe what I want to do just isn't possible. I have an alpha layer of some lightning I made and as the lightning moves I wanted particles to kind of spray off based off of the lightnings motions and alpha. I kind of got it working but the particles are too delayed for the lightnings fast motion and I can't tighten them up close to the lightning so they are almost like a halo of particles around either side of it, I don't think there are any settings I can change to get them closer

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:17:45 pm

Instead of emitting particles from the lightning layer, how about using a separate particular layer with a sparkler-type emitter which appears to track the lightning's movement? I think you would have much better control of the particles that way.

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:25:04 pm

I actually tried that this morning, the issue is I want particles to emit from the full length of the lightning not just a point, I had the wind turned up so it would span the length of the lightning but it still doesn't 'bend' with the lightning shape

It looks like I need to convert the lightning footage into motion vectors to then use for the emitter, there's not much about it online though, looks like the only way to convert footage for this in after effects is to use Twixtor pro so guess I'm gonna have to save up haha

Thanks so much for your replies :)

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:54:15 pm

If you want to, I can create motion vectors for you if you make the footage accessible somehow. I've never tried that option in Twixtor in a production context and I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Apr 30, 2018 at 12:11:57 pm

Thank you so much for the offer Kalleheikki, I wish I could as that would have been incredibly helpful but this project is for a product so for legal reasons I can't.

If you want something to test it out with though I can send you a video of a 3D object moving around? I did that to test particles spraying off of it but even Element 3D doesn't offer a motion vector pass

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 30, 2018 at 1:45:28 pm

Hi Ryan -- nah, that's okay. I can always render something flying around. It was one of those "it's Sunday night and I'm bored" things. But it would have been interesting to see if Twixtor can track the motion of a lightning and give useful motion vectors to control particle motion with. Sounded rather challenging, hence interesting.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Apr 30, 2018 at 2:41:59 pm

Understood well thanks so much again ☺ the more I look into it the more interesting it is and how the plugin can get that sort of information

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 2, 2018 at 9:34:48 pm

We use twixtor to generate the motion data for particular and that will impart the velocity or blur you want, but because lightning forks change from frame to frame, you may not get a successful result from twixtor.

Keep in mind that when you mask a layer or use the alpha as the generator, the number of particles you set to be generated are produced for the whole layer not just the masked part (at least this is my belief and the way things like Mograph work too). So a dot in the middle of a large layer that you want to produce 5000 particles a second would not actually generate 5000 particles from that dot. So with masked or alpha'd layers you really have to crank up those particle numbers to get more coming out of the area you want.

You could try the sub frame sampling in the emitter but because your lighting frames are finite, there's no "inbetween" frames to get the position data from.
And because the lighting is so fast you will probably have to use a very very high velocity and then a high air "friction" setting so they appear at the edge of the lighting right when you want them and not fly away immediately.
You could also use a copy of your lightning as the emitter but that has been offset in time so that the particles can "catch up" to the brief lighting strike.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]