FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would YOU do it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Schwartz
How would YOU do it?
on Apr 27, 2018 at 6:33:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a photo album for my family with the growing flourishes animation style in After Effects.
Here is an example:

I would like to get some suggestions as to how I can create the background for the "Floral Growth" and to display the images without eventually running out of background. The background have to "move along" with the growth.

Even if I choose a high resolution material as a background it is not large enough to accommodate the growth patterns and about 30 images.

Suggestions welcome.

Many thanks,

Lucas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How would YOU do it?
on Apr 27, 2018 at 10:55:34 pm

Get a texture image that you can tile. They're out there -- just use Google. Just tile 'em up in a big ol' comp, which you nest in the main comp.

So are floral / plant images in line art. Make them all white on an alpha channel. Reveal the images with animated wipes. Do it in a nested comp.

In the main comp, add the background comp and the plant comp. Animate the position of the plant comp so you see the plants growing, then go back to the beginning and parent the background comp to the plant comp. Use the Fill effect on the plant comp to change the color as you want -- then play around with opacity & blend modes to get the final look you like.

I don't know how you intend to add the pictures, but you'll probably need to parent them to the plant comp as they appear.

Now, if you're new to AE, this may sound like Greek.... but it's standard nomenclature for the application. And it you're new, count on it being a tough, time-consuming job that you'll be constantly changing and re-tweaking as you go along.

Sorry, but there's nothing automatic about what you're trying to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
on Apr 28, 2018 at 5:25:10 am

Thank you David,

I will post a link once I have completed the project.

Kind regards,

Lucas

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 2, 2018 at 9:10:33 pm

Hey Lucas,
Using the compound blur and splines with stroke (or even better, Trapcode's 3D stroke) is great for this. If you make a stroke in Pshop that has a brush painting the stroke from black to white, the compound blur in AE can use the gradient that follows the line to reveal things.
Using an animated stroke on a spline in AE can also be used to reveal things.
You can also use the write-on script or paint to reveal things so that your hand controls the speed of the reveal and it won't feel so mechanical.
You can also just do a simple mask that is soft edged and then increase the mask expansion over time to do a "bloom" reveal in areas that have a cluster of leaves or flowers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]