FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plug-In filled hard drive?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Culver
Plug-In filled hard drive?
on Apr 26, 2018 at 3:35:39 pm

Hello!

I'm sort of self teaching myself as I go and I have downloaded I believe my first "plug-in" if I'm using that term correctly. Perhaps "extensions" I had to activate an allow extensions option.

It was a "pack" of free graphics from a company called Motion Factory. It seems like it was just a bunch of full on AE files, like projects, that you can then select and plop right in to any project and tweak. But there are a TON I'm not gonna use. Will it affect the usability of the plugin if I delete the files I don't use? Can I transfer this all to the D drive on my laptop for storage or does it have to be on the C drive with the software to 'find' it?

I'm good with software but if you can't tell I'm not all that tech savy when it comes to how computers work within themselves. But my C drive is almost full and AE is giving me warnings that the disk is full and the cache is full and it wont work correctly because of it.

Thanks for any help in this regard.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Plug-In filled hard drive?
on Apr 26, 2018 at 6:32:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 26, 2018 at 6:34:12 pm

[Zack Culver] "I'm sort of self teaching myself as I go...."

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! That's the absolute WORST way to learn AE! You absolutely MUST learn the AE Basics if you're going to have anything that even approaches success.

Sure, you might know NLE's pretty well. Learning to use an NLE is like learning to drive the family car. Learning After Effects is like learning to fly an F-22 Raptor in combat. So you really need to spend a good deal of quality time here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html

Blow it off at your peril.

Now on to your question -- you've just gotten a hard drive full of AE Templates. Each folder is a self-contained AE project, which almost surely includes the necessary footage and instuctions -- which you should pore over. You don't have to install anything. You just have to open the AE project file you'll find in each of those folders.

Incidentally, almost every template-maker assumes users have at least an intermediate knowledge of AE. You have none. Guess how much success you'll have with those templates?

Get crackin' on those tutorials!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zack Culver
on Apr 26, 2018 at 7:28:47 pm

I wasn't clear... I've been doing some basic stuff for a few years. I do need to do more training but I have bad luck surfing youtube for tutorials. I'll check out some of these official ones for sure though.

But they're not templates... Its extensions that I'm new to. I go up to the menu and its in the window drop-down under "Expressions". I don't know if I delete all those other project folders that I don't need, and keep the ones I do, will the "extension" itself still work or will the whole thing be corrupted and just not open or launch or whatever the term is for extensions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2018 at 8:42:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification. If you can make a grab of this stuff you downloaded -- especially the file extensions -- we can probably help you figure out what they are.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:33:13 am

Hello,

If you would like to gain free space on our hard drive by deleting some of the unwanted extension files make sure that you won't delete the dependencies for the .ae project file you are actually using.

As for the rest IF the are indeed just AE template file you should be ok to delete.

The tutorial below will hopefully help you to identify the dependencies you need to keep to your template functional after deleting the unwanted files:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]