FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animation technique, turning a 2D head

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Davies
Animation technique, turning a 2D head
on Apr 25, 2018 at 10:53:14 am

Hi

I am trying to animate a head on a bird. I need it to look from left to right, I have the two 'frames' but what technique is there to make the transition less snapy? Is there a method? Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Steve

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Animation technique, turning a 2D head
on Apr 25, 2018 at 4:45:51 pm

Unless you have intermediate frames already drawn, you may be stuck with a snappy transition. You could fudge it by horizontally compressing the head a bit before it switches, creating the illusion that it's turning towards the camera and foreshortening. But without actual intermediate drawings, you'll just need to animate the movement of the head so that it telegraphs that it's about to switch directions, in order to reduce the impact of the transition.

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on Apr 27, 2018 at 10:33:08 am

Blaise, thanks for confirming my fears! Thanks for answering

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 25, 2018 at 4:46:40 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Apr 25, 2018 at 4:48:17 pm

There is no way to smooth (make less snappy) a "transition" between two adjacent frames because there is no transition. What you need to do is to create intermediate frames -- what the head would look like in-between the two positions -- so that there is a transition between the first and final positions. The more you have, the smoother it will be. Rather than drawing the frames yourself, make the layer 3D so that a quick rotation will give the illusion that the head has thickness.

Edit: I was writing my response while Blaise's was posted.

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on Apr 27, 2018 at 10:32:14 am

Jim thanks for your reply, I was fearing that.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 27, 2018 at 2:20:14 pm

also if the 3D rotation that Jim suggested is done fast and you crank up the motion blur, that will cover a lot of sins.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]