FORUMS: list search recent posts

Puppet Tool & Continuously Rasterize

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davies
Puppet Tool & Continuously Rasterize
on Apr 24, 2018 at 8:38:41 am

Hi,

I have a character built from shape layers (imported from Illustrator with Overlord) and I've used the puppet tool and Rubberhose's Rubberpin to animate various parts of him.

I wanted to bring him into a 3D environment, so he's nested in a couple of pre-comps, hit the 3D switch and applied Continuously Rasterize so I can scale him as I wish.

I've since learnt, through many failed moustaches and wobbling coats, that the puppet tool isn't going to work like this. Is there any work around at all to enable me to continuously rasterize, while keeping all puppet pins working?

The puppet pins are applied on to a pre-comp of all the assets they are affecting.

Is this a viable option? https://aescripts.com/easy-bake/

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Puppet Tool & Continuously Rasterize
on Apr 24, 2018 at 5:51:31 pm

[John Davies] "I wanted to bring him into a 3D environment, so he's nested in a couple of pre-comps, hit the 3D switch and applied Continuously Rasterize so I can scale him as I wish."

The "Continuously Rasterize" has two different functions, depending on layer type.

For vector layers, it essentially means "change the render order and rasterize this layer AFTER transformations." This gives you sharp lines, no matter how big you scale your layer.

For composition layers, it's actually called "Collapse transformations" and it essentially means "treat the layers inside this precomp as if they were a bunch of layers that were directly in the containing comp." This lets you do cool things like use blend modes, combine 3D spaces, and concatenate transformations (in other words, allow a 25% scale on the layer inside the precomp and a 400% scale on the precomp layer inside the main comp to cancel each other out, instead of creating a blurry pixelated mess).

The downside is that effects applied to the precomp layer will no longer work quite the same. Remember, we're now treating the contents of the precomp as if they were layers inside the containing comp; we are no longer rendering the precomp in memory and treating it as a single image in the containing comp. Ae will apply any effects to each and every layer of the precomp. This can yield really different results than applying the same effects to the one composite of all those layers.

For any effects that use control points (like the Puppet Tool and others), they're now operating in individual layer spaces instead of the precomp's layer space. This will cause big errors for any layer that is not the same size as the composition.

The best solution here is to make the puppet comp at the largest size you'll need, then scale down elsewhere.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]