FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner AE question...Masking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Beginner AE question...Masking
on Apr 23, 2018 at 11:59:44 pm

I have a video clip small black area [IPod on a wall - no movement ] . It needs to be made transparent so a graphic can be seen.
Yes, if it had been green screened, piece of cake done in PP CS6. It wasn't done... I understand the concept, but can't pull it off.
I'm on CS 6 AE. It is just this one area....I can't seem to find a tutorial that shows masking a small square, that can be made transparent.
Can anyone recommend a tutorial that would be have help. I have tried a few times
Make comp...correct size...
bring in clip ... clip on timeline...use pen tool to make square...invert the mask
Then I can see the clip..the inside of the ipod...is not transparent...Obviously I am missing something

Best Sz

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Beginner AE question...Masking
on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:14:29 am

When you first make the mask, you see only the screen. The mask mode defaults to Add. Change the mode to Subtract. Then put some footage on the layer BELOW the masked layer. See what happens.

This is REALLY basic stuff. So basic, I doubt you'd find a tutorial for it... with the exception of one place.

Here on the COW, there is a series of tutorials called AE Basics by Andrew Devis. They were done in AE CS6. I heartily recommend them for your continued AE understanding.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:53:01 pm

I always appreciate when people take the time to respond. I also understand this is so basic. I have taken your recommendation to look at the tutorials. What I cannot find the information to solve is I can make a successful mask, I can get the graphic behind and see it in the appropriate area. But what I can't figure out is when an actor passes by the that area -I can see the graphic in front of them, The actor does not block it as it should be. I am missing something.....I cannot find any information that can give me a hint on the fix. Yes it is easy and basic when you know.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 24, 2018 at 7:17:53 pm

If something goes in front, you'll have to duplicate your footage layer and mask that out too (to be able to put it back in front), its called rotoscoping. There are several ways to do that, one is with masks. You definitely find tutorials on that.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Apr 25, 2018 at 10:43:10 am

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]