FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave trotz
3D particles
on Apr 19, 2018 at 10:15:45 pm

Hi,

I have been using adobe after effects for a few weeks already now, and I've started using Maya like a week ago or so. And what I wanted to do is to create a 3D animation. I wanted to create a kind of Linear Swipe, but in Maya, with a particular effect, and since all meshes are not 'filled' inside and empty, I had to fill the mesh with particles to make it look like wood, so that when it gets revealed, it looks like a decent piece of wood and not an empty one. But with all these particles, my Maya always gets to crash. So I ended up trying with Cinema 4D and the falloff effect, but as soon as I get the volume filled with a decent amount of particles, it still crashes, or gets so slow that I just cant keep working on the project...

So here is my question, is there any way I could get this effect done ( a 3D linear swipe on a piece of wood that wont look empty inside when being revealed ), or is it just my hardware that's too old? I have an AMD Bulldozer FX-8350, with 16 gb of rams, an Nvidia 770 GTX w/ 2GB and a RAID 0 SSD set-up.

I know 3D particles can get very heavy to handle, but with a better pc would it be better? (i.e. i7-8700k + 1080 Ti founder's) or not even? I am just wondering if I am doing this the right way because until now, I never had any problem with my pc ( doing a lot of cad stuff, etc ), but now it just seems like an old potatoe, and when I look at the processes, or my hardware performance, it doesn't even seem to drain a lot of power out of it, but still gets to crash, which is really weird... I also know that I could simply use a growing effect on the piece of wood, but I really liked the idea of seeing wood grains moving while it grows, and unfortunately, with the grow effect, the wood texture material also gets to grow to fit the growing block as a 1:1 scale, which doesn't really look good nor realistic at all.

Thanks for enlightening me,

Dave

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: 3D particles
on Apr 19, 2018 at 11:34:28 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you are after. Do you mean when you do your particle effect in Maya or C4d, the shell of the model gets eaten away as the particles(polygons) move away, leaving you with a half eaten kinder egg who's shell keeps being eaten more over time? In other words you can see inside it?
Are you looking for more of a alpha channel reveal? This can certainly be done right in AE or you could make elements for this in either maya or C4d.
Do you have an example of the kind of look you are going for?

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:01:17 am

When you create a C4D Linear Falloff, the mesh looks empty inside during the animation, like an empty shell with just walls and nothing inside, instead of looking like a normal volumetric solid. In other words, meshes are only surfaces.

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:02:37 am

I do not have any example of what I am looking, only of what I am not looking for unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:07:07 am

So basically you want to see the wood grain all the way through as you would with a boolean on a solid.

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:10:31 am

exactly

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:14:47 am

so what is the solution?

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:06:55 am

I am trying to create something similar to this, but without getting an empty solid while it grows or animates :

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:29:02 am

Whats the shape? (or mesh)

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:55:50 am

It's a rectangular prism ( or multiple of them oriented in different ways ) which create a bridhouse.

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 12:57:40 am

*Wipe

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 20, 2018 at 2:55:18 am

If you animate whats inside a boolean object and choose create single object in the bool attributes, then you can just animate the "cutter" object which will be invisible and then you should have your reveal.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 20, 2018 at 2:56:31 am

like this
12354_boolean.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 20, 2018 at 3:09:59 am

The texture goes on the Boolean object. If the texture is just an image or color then the texture will stick to the surfaces and not change. If the texture is procedural (like mabel) or a 3D noise or grad, the it will change as you cut through the object - like revealing deeper layers in wood.
If you want a different texture on the exposed cut end put one texture on the cutter object and one on the original object and none on the boolean.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Apr 20, 2018 at 4:40:04 pm

THis has got to be the most out of the box idea ive ever seen. So you have a bunch of cubes and instead of creating a single plane and putting it inside the box, you used a particle system that is to render intensive to succeed. Very out of the box..and while it is an interesting idea...i do not think it will work for this instance

Return to posts index

dave trotz
on Apr 20, 2018 at 11:29:48 pm

Ok thanks a lot Steve, I will this give a try as soon as I can and will let you know if anything works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]