FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rainbow trail effect from 20th Century Women

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachai Kalet-Schwartz
Rainbow trail effect from 20th Century Women
on Apr 18, 2018 at 4:27:23 pm

Hey y'all,

I just watched Mike Mills' 20th Century Women. My mom and I cried and hugged after the movie was over but that's besides the point. What I'm wondering about and what I can't seem to find any tutorials explaining is the rainbow trail effect accomplished in some of the transition scenes. Like this:

I assume there's some sort of mask placed around the object and then maybe a "set channels" effect added to the outside?

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Rainbow trail effect from 20th Century Women
on Apr 18, 2018 at 4:55:16 pm

Looks like glitch distortion effects used in a different way.

Return to posts index

Derek Bavin
on Apr 19, 2018 at 12:16:33 am

This looks like a chromatic aberration effect.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Apr 19, 2018 at 8:36:04 pm

very similar to the chromatic aberration effect (if you google that and after effects tutorial, you'll see how the separations are made)... videocopilot's twitch can do similar effects...

however rather than distorting the image color separations, it looks like the offset each in time by a frame or two.... and they color's are cyan, magenta and yellow rather than RGB, but that's not too hard to do... try this:
  • bring in a piece of footage and make it black and white (i use the tint effect, but whatever floats your boat)
  • bring the black and white comp into a new comp and add the channel combiner effect, setting 'from' to 'red' and 'to' to 'red only' (sounds confusing, but it will make sense in the effect settings).
  • then, if you want to make that magenta as the example, add the hue saturation effects and set the master hue to -60.
  • now duplicate that layer and set the channel combiner setting to 'green' and 'green only'. the hue saturation effects should be already set to make that yellow instead of green.
  • duplicate that layer and set the channel combiner effect to 'blue' and 'blue only'. again the hue saturation effect to then make that look cyan.
  • now select the top two layers and set the blending modes to 'lighten'. note, if you use RGB separation, you'll want to use 'add' blending mode, but for CMY, you'll need 'lighten'.
  • that will blend them back to the black and white source image. to see the separations, slide the top layer back in time by two frames, and the the second layer back one frame.

the areas that have motion should separate into a similar rainbow trail that is in your example.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]