FORUMS: list search recent posts

Force AE to use a specified GPU

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Christie
Force AE to use a specified GPU
on Apr 17, 2018 at 4:25:10 pm

Hi,

I have two GPUs, GT710 to drive my monitors and GTX660Ti for processing (usually in Resolve), both not officially supported), I've noticed that AE defaults to using the 710 for ray tracing. Is there a way to point AE to the 660 instead? GPU sniffer identifies the 660 as "device 0" and the 710 as "device 1".

Thanks,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Force AE to use a specified GPU
on Apr 17, 2018 at 4:32:16 pm

Um, why are you still using ray tracing? There are better ways to do the same thing that are a lot faster.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Christie
on Apr 18, 2018 at 12:22:53 am

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I'm using 3D extrusion in AE, but if there is a butter way to render it, I'm all ears.

I'm coming back to AE after a bit of a hiatus, so there may be new things I have missed. Anything that is faster and better is of interest ☺

Cheers,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2018 at 12:49:24 am

Indeed there is! It's C4D lite, bundled with AE. Works a LOT faster.

A word to the wise for those returning after a couple-three years. If you have Creative Cloud, avoid the update of April. It ended support of many Quicktime codecs, and it contains a HUGE number of bugs. Many can be overcome with time-consuming troubleshooting, but not all!

If you want to run the software (comparatively) trouble-free, get the previous update; for AE it would be version 15.0.1 -- NOT version 15.1.0. And if you care not one whit about tbe latest sparkly features from Adobe, may I recommend the fully-updated Creative Cloud 2017? I got mine one week before CC 2018 came out and it has worked like a champ.

BUT.....

If you like rolling the dice, get the latest... and good luck with it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]