FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting animation with an appropriate Quicktime codec without frame and sync issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Veljko Golocorbin
Exporting animation with an appropriate Quicktime codec without frame and sync issues
on Apr 14, 2018 at 11:19:31 pm

So I rendered out my 3D animated short from AE and imported to Audition only to find out that he audio is out of sync with the video. When I import just the sound (wav) into AE everything is in sync. Obviously the issue is the exported video (Quicktime .h264). Did .h264 compress any frames and that why it's out of sync? What could be the reason? (it's 24fps just like everything in AE)

Also please recommend me a good quicktime codec for exporting from AE in order to be able to view the animation without losing frames.
For my final export from AE (video and audio) I intend to use DNxHD which will end up on Youtube and Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Exporting animation with an appropriate Quicktime codec without frame and sync issues
on Apr 15, 2018 at 12:54:39 am

It may have to do with your audio hardware. 48k audio needs special harware to sync to video. Pretty much any computer can do 41k. This also goes for programs. Some handle decoding 48k better than others.
Try is at both and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Exporting animation with an appropriate Quicktime codec without frame and sync issues
on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:25:18 am

Does the footage play in-sync in After Effects (when cached)?

If you've imported your animation as an image sequence into After Effects, make sure that you've interpreted it at the correct frame rate. Right-click the footage item in the project panel, select "Interpret Footage" and double-check the frame rate.

[Steve Bentley] "48k audio needs special harware to sync to video."

I disagree. Most video standards specify 48 KHz audio, and most NLEs default to 48 KHz audio.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Veljko Golocorbin
on Apr 17, 2018 at 11:52:38 am

It plays in sync when it's inside of AE, all of the shots are image sequences imported into AE and interpreted as 24fps. I'm using Adobe Audition for the audio. I haven't managed to fix it yet but I think we'll manage. Can you guys recommend me a format/codec for exporting all of these 32bit uncompressed exrs (everything is computer generated)? As I said I'm planning on exporting a Quicktime DNxHD 444 10bit but I want to learn about other options. It's going to end up on Vimeo and Youtube and I also need to make a DCP later on but that's another topic.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 15, 2018 at 11:07:23 pm

Have you actually rendered out the work in DNxHD? That would be a good first step. You could use it to make an Mp4/H.264 using Adobe Media Encoder, which is a good idea -- Quicktime's implementation of H.264 really stinks.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Veljko Golocorbin
on Apr 17, 2018 at 12:28:02 pm

I'm testing the DNxHD right now, the colors look a bit too red than what I see in my image sequences. Is that possible? I'm using AE 2017 CC but when I use it to export I always get a wrong gamma so I save it down to CS6 which works fine except for the red saturation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]