FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Illustrator mesh layers in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Lawheed
Working with Illustrator mesh layers in after effects
on Apr 13, 2018 at 6:41:55 pm

I have googled all of the terminology I can think of and have not found a solution to my problem-

I have an illustrator file of a glass jar with multiple layers. Many of the layers contain a mesh. In illustrator it looks beautiful and seamless:

But when I import those layers into after effects and turn on collapse transformations, it becomes decidedly less clean looking:

What am I doing wrong?

I am running the latest 15.1.0 AE and 22.1 AI on a Mac OS 10.13.4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Working with Illustrator mesh layers in after effects
on Apr 13, 2018 at 9:45:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 14, 2018 at 4:28:08 am

It sounds as if you may have to prepare the Illustrator file differently.

There are a number of things like a drop shadow or a blur that force After Effects to immediately rasterize the file, and that's it -- you lose the ability to scale up using continuous rasterization. I suspect the mesh is also among those no-no's in AE. So flatten the offending layers or bake 'em, whatever they call it in Illustrator.

BUT FIRST....

If you need the image to be bigger in AE, I suggest that you make the image bigger in Illustrator... probably bigger than you think you'll need. It's not a problem in AE to scale it down.

I also notice a big color difference; if the Illustrator file is in CMYK color, you need to change it to RGB color. AE hates CMYK.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]