FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smooth keyframes AFTER keyframes happen.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Gray
Smooth keyframes AFTER keyframes happen.
on Apr 13, 2018 at 7:09:03 am

Hi! This is going to be a little bit confusion.

I have an animation that involves an audio reaction based animation (using scripts) that I would like to smooth out.

However, I don't just want to average the animation over all, I'd like to only smooth it after an immediate input has happen. Kind of like ease out, but with an immediate in point. (I have no idea how to explain this :P) The easiest way to explain this is with this drawing I've done. You can see the decay that I'm looking for.

Any ideas how to accomplish this with a script?

If there's any more info you need let me know. ☺

Thanks! Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Smooth keyframes AFTER keyframes happen.
on Apr 13, 2018 at 8:44:46 am

For every animated attribute you can open the motion graphs and change the kind of keyframe you want that to be. (see picture for where the motion graph button is).
You can have bezier handles or broken bezier handles or holds or or really anything you like.
Just make sure to set the graph to Value (vs Speed - the prefs button for the graph area is second from the left at the bottom).
While hitting easy ease etc is really quick, its pretty rare we let animation curves run with these defaults. We are usually tweaking the graph shapes to get the exact curve we want.
Position will have a "speed" curve no matter what because it has at least two values buried in the position attribute. There is a "show separate dimensions" button at the bottom that will split the x,y,z out so you can address each one of these directions in its own curve and use "values" to do so (instead of speed).
Unfortunately there is no such separation available for scale - if you want to do that you can add an expression for each of the x,y,z of the scale attribute and use a slider or another layer to drive these separately.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Apr 13, 2018 at 3:55:13 pm

Expanding on what Steve wrote, you might want to take a look at this vid:

The script has many more tools but the main funtion is explained at the head end.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 13, 2018 at 5:34:20 pm

Hey Mark I didn't know about these guys.
Just watching the video it looks like, after you change the easing with the MTM tool, and then you select they key frames again, the interface doesn't tell you what the easing on those key frames is set to, only what the last easing you did was.
Is that true?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Apr 13, 2018 at 5:58:37 pm

There 's a bit of that if I recall but I'll have to experiment over the weekend & get back (about to head off to work & probably going to 2-3am). Might just be operator familiarity on my end.

I've written them a couple times & never heard back which is a negative of course. There's also a couple things not working with the Help menu & links (nothing with the tools themselves that I've found).

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Apr 14, 2018 at 8:18:40 pm

[Steve Bentley] "Just watching the video it looks like, after you change the easing with the MTM tool, and then you select they key frames again, the interface doesn't tell you what the easing on those key frames is set to, only what the last easing you did was.
Is that true?"

Hey Steve,
I'm not quite sure what or rather where you mean. Do you mean in the Motion 2 UI or in one of AE's panels? In the Motion UI, that's sort of a hidden (or at least a briefly mentioned "feature") in that you can copy last used settings to other keys. You do that by selecting the new key(s) and clicking on the icon on the left side of the Motion sliders.

If you happen to have the graph editor open though, as soon as you let up on the slider in Motion, it's updated.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 14, 2018 at 9:32:21 pm

With the Motion 2UI.
Just watching the demo it looked he selected a group of keyframes, changed the value of them all, then selected another set, and changed those. But when he selected a set from the original group the "velocity" as he calls it didn't reflect the initial value but the value he just set on a the second set of keyframes. So it looked like it was a bit of a one-way street - you can set values but not read the values.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Apr 14, 2018 at 10:05:54 pm

Ya, it's more of a "this is what I'm going to set the value to" rather than "this is the value now".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]