FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixel / computerised particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan Fraser
Pixel / computerised particles
on Apr 12, 2018 at 2:37:11 pm

Hello,

I am trying to animate an object which forms out of pieces which resemble computerised pixels from cyberspace.

Please see reference image:

Basically I have a comp'd a moving train, which needs to burst into multicoloured pixels, then reform into person (who has been prefilmed on green screen).

Any idea how I can achieve this with After Effects / Trapcode suite ?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Image: 0_runner_data_analytics_-_ilexx_thumb800.jpg

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Pixel / computerised particles
on Apr 12, 2018 at 6:00:57 pm

The reference image is a 3d one, with depth. You can't acchieve that with footage and 2d.

To get to that example you'll need a Full 3d application, models and a "mesh to voxel" plugin.

What you can do in AE is learn some "text to sand" tutorials, and use pre composed cubes as particles, It won't be true 3d, and you'll have to fake the transition between the dispersed train and the pre-formed person. How far you can get with this is whole dependent on your skill (this is not an easy task to do in AE).

It won't look as orderly and clean as that image though. You got to remember, particles have no volume, they don't know when they overlap.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 12, 2018 at 6:02:51 pm

I'm not sure how you'd control the colors, but CC Scatterize would allow you to do something pretty close to this, with smaller particles. Your reference image appears to be animated in a 3D app, but if you're not committed to the idea of 3D particles, experiment with Scatterize.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 12, 2018 at 8:05:11 pm

Oh, it occurs to me that the venerable old Shatter effect might be able to handle something like this, too--and it would have the added bonus of faking depth on the particles. You'd have to create two instances, one for each asset, and then pre-comp and time-reverse the second one so the particles re-form into your figure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]