FORUMS: list search recent posts

Repeating pattern brush animations!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Perkins
Repeating pattern brush animations!
on Apr 10, 2018 at 4:38:33 pm

I want to get the effect in this screenshot.

basically, I want a simple piece of artwork that I can repeat along a line. Motion-wise, I would kinda like the piece of artwork to appear ON the tip of the line, and disappear off the back of the line. As in, I'd like the stroke to fill with repeated shapes. Sorta like a stroke growing along a path, except instead filling with X's. Sorry, please ask any clarifying questions if this isn't clear, it's difficult to express exactly what I mean.

Also, side-note, I might want to animate the stroke as well, like maybe once it's full of X's it can wave about.

Is there a combination of effects or animations or brushes or something that can make this effect? I'm struggling to figure out a way to achieve this. I'm a little amateur with after effects, so the answer might be obvious! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jacob Roth
Re: Repeating pattern brush animations!
on Apr 10, 2018 at 5:15:07 pm

Is the piece of artwork you're referring to existing or would you be making a shape layer? If you make a shape layer, you could add a repeater to the shape layer and them move the layer along a predetermined path you've drawn, or animate the repeater.

Return to posts index

Patrick Perkins
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:22:30 pm

Oh, noted. That's really close to what I want, thank you.

I'm using a shape placed from illustrator though, it's the green "X" you see in the screenshot. Is there any way to add a repeater to a specific vector like that? Should I redraw it in after effects, or maybe save it as an eps in Illustrator?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Apr 10, 2018 at 7:18:45 pm

There's also this if you're needing a lot more control & options:

https://aescripts.com/bao-mask-brush/

Return to posts index

Jacob Roth
on Apr 10, 2018 at 7:33:33 pm

You can copy any path in Illustrator and paste it on a shape in After Effects. If you use an EPS, you can't use the repeater. It only works on shape layers.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 10, 2018 at 7:55:00 pm

I'm sure Jacob meant this but it sounded like it was a no-go. In fact you can copy and paste an illustrator path to the shape layer and you CAN use the repeater. Once the path has been replaces it's still a shape layer.
I've found for some reason on some platforms you have to key frame the shape layer path and then paste the vector path onto the keyframe. But this will solve your problem.

Return to posts index

Jacob Roth
on Apr 10, 2018 at 8:35:39 pm

Precisely this. Sorry if I was unclear.

Return to posts index

Patrick Perkins
on Apr 10, 2018 at 7:58:35 pm

Thanks everyone! Y'all have been super helpful. What ended up working was a.) drawing a path that I want the object to follow, b.) copying a path keyframe and pasting it into the "position" of the object, c.) right clicking the object layer, and clicking transform/auto-orient/Orient Along Path to attach the orientation to the path d.) Adding and editing the "echo" effect, set to "composite in back"

Return to posts index

Stu Smith
on Sep 8, 2018 at 7:04:20 am

Be prepared to have your mind blown. An insane plugin that does exactly what you want and more.

https://aescripts.com/bao-mask-brush/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]