FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing semi-transparent logo/watermark from a News Broadcast Video.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
El Ansh
Removing semi-transparent logo/watermark from a News Broadcast Video.
on Apr 8, 2018 at 12:51:22 pm

Hello,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to remove a semi-transparent logo/watermark from a news broadcast video(You can check out the screenshot of the video through this- [http://s2.dmcdn.net/pqW5_.jpg] link, for some reason I was unable to see the embed code when I uploaded the screenshot). I have googled and looked up various tutorials and forums, most of them were about removing a solid logo or an object in a video. I did come across an old tutorial by maltaannon (who was/is a creativecow member), but I wasn't able to make that method work for me. So it would be great if someone could offer me a solution to this.

Thanks in advance,
El Ansh

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Removing semi-transparent logo/watermark from a News Broadcast Video.
on Apr 9, 2018 at 2:29:40 pm

The link doesn't work.

It's always been tough to do what you want -- you need the logo, and then you need to come up with the grayscale differences using a blend mode that would negate the watermark.

Not to mention watermarks are used because someone else owns the video......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

El Ansh
on Apr 10, 2018 at 10:47:37 am

"The link doesn't work."

http://www.timesnownews.com/india/article/jammu-and-kashmir-srinagar-hospit...

I'm not sure what's wrong but you can check the above link for a similar image that I would like to work on.

"Not to mention watermarks are used because someone else owns the video..."

I kinda expected this to come up, correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have read here and on other forums, I think working with broadcast news footage is alright plus this is not for commercial purpose.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2018 at 9:34:53 pm

If you're talking about the word "EXCLUSIVE" in that video, you might be able minimize the look of most of it.
If you're talking about the colored news logo next to it, don't even try -- you'll go nuts.

To eliminate the text, you'd have to figure out the blend mode used. I'm going to say it's the Screen (or Overlay) blend mode. Then you have to figure out where in the gray scale the text lies. In 8-bit, in Screen (or Overlay), 128-128-128 is middle gray, which is invisible. So you can see what gray value lightens the text by the same amount.

Once you know that, you can determine its difference from middle gray. Then make your text that is darker than middle gray by that value. Which in theory should darken things up again by the same amount, rendering the text invisible.

But there is a LOT of eyeballing involved in this. There is NO magic formula -- it's a lot of trial and error. And if your text is not spot-on precise, you'll see edges.

That's what makes watermark elimination so tough to do.

Hey, if you're confident that you won't get in trouble for using the video, knock yourself out. It's your carcass on the line, not mine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 11, 2018 at 10:23:10 am

Keep in mind too that after you "get rid" of the water mark and start processing the footage with other effects or color corrections, the edges from your water mark removal will start to show again.
But given that you are probably going to be working from the footage on the web, the noise from the compression is so harsh that it will be an exercise in frustration to try and remove that watermark.

Return to posts index

El Ansh
on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:39:22 pm

Alright, so basically you are trying to tell me it's not worth it. Okay, I have already accepted that.

Return to posts index

El Ansh
on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:28:18 pm

Thank You Mr.LaRonde, I'll try working with that, though I'm on the verge of giving up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]