FORUMS: list search recent posts

WARNING: Got a big Quicktime library? Read this and weep.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
WARNING: Got a big Quicktime library? Read this and weep.
on Apr 4, 2018 at 10:56:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 4, 2018 at 11:27:22 pm

If you DO have a lot of QT clips, DO NOT get the newest update to Creative Cloud right away. Do some planning first. And while you're waiting, wait for the upcoming bug fix.

Adobe has unceremoniously, with no fanfare, almost as if they were sneaking around, dropped support of many, many popular QT codecs with AE version 15.1.0... as opposed to version 15.0.1.

This is in response to Apple's dropping QT support in Windows. But what it means to YOU is this:
  • Got lots of music in AIFF files? You can't use 'em!
  • Got a gorgeous sunset shot taken in DVCPro HD? Not any more, you don't!
  • Got clients who want you to use old QT shots? Tell 'em, "tough merde"!
  • Did you think Photo JPEG or JPEG 2000 was great for archiving? The geniuses in San Jose don't agree!

And there ain't nothin' you can do about it. Well, you can, but it all falls on you:
  • Don't update AE CC 2018
  • Get a different machine on which to run subsequent CC apps
  • Buy several terabytes of storage and commence transcoding. Don't forget backups.

I thought you'd appreciate this cheery news.

My legacy machine with CS 5.5 looks better and better every day.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
Re: WARNING: Got a big Quicktime library? Read this and weep.
on Apr 4, 2018 at 11:34:26 pm

Noticed that options of Avid DNxHD/HR codecs are unavailable even in previous release, so be sure to verify how it treats the colorspaces. Like, previously we were rendering out DNxHD 185 10-bit MOVs (4:2:2) at Rec.709, which we cannot choose anymore, and, we are forced to render Highest quality settings (4:4:4) that occupy twice as much disk space, otherwise we get our colors altered.

Nh

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:22:02 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Adobe has unceremoniously, with no fanfare, almost as if they were sneaking around,"

Yeah... Let's not let the fact that Apple itself dropped the support/development for Quicktime unceremoniously, with no fanfare, almost as if they were sneaking around and leave developers doing their own encoders/decoders ruin a good whine.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:21:18 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:37:56 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Yeah... Let's not let the fact that Apple itself dropped the support/development for Quicktime unceremoniously, with no fanfare, almost as if they were sneaking around and leave developers doing their own encoders/decoders ruin a good whine."

Correct. Except the "whine" part. Call it what it is -- a rant. You should have read what I wrote on this web site as an FCP 7 user who was looking forward to FCP 8 when Apple said, "Surprise! You're getting iMovie Pro instead!".
Talk about your vitriol!

And it doesn't alter the fact that if you:
A) want to stay current on Adobe software and
B) not surprisingly have a big stash of stock shots in, say, Photo JPEG, which isn't unreasonable,

you have ZERO choice but to drop what you're doing, run out and spend several hundred dollars on storage and spend many hours transcoding. Or days depending on how much you have, even with batch transcoding.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Onat
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:59:22 am

ADobe has long treated mac users as if they were superfluous, when they were the ones that grew their company.
Illustrator is a yawn compared to the new drawing apps on Mac. Photoshop is a standard, but has competitors,
and GIMP is no slouch, particularly in the area of automated file processing. GIMP even has a bigger array of
fun filters, while Adobe sits on its laurels for literally decades.

After Effects and Character Animator are the real reasons to subscribe to Adobe. And now what, they're going to disable
these apps again. Red Giant plug ins do work inside of Apple. Maybe it's going to be time to get away from Adobe all over again.

Not supporting AIFF and MOV is just a joke. What possible reason do they have for that? I understand it's a somewhat less standard
file formate, I guess. A product should have as many import/export options as possible if it actually cares about its customers,
which Adobe does not, at least not its Mac customers. Who cares if it doesnt work on Windows. Just say so. Like you say, Adobe
and Apple both have a long history of never telling anyone much. Maybe Apple wants to hurt them still. Oh well.
Great format progress forward once again.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:24:48 am

I haven't heard anything about them dropping AIFF support anf they still do support the newer QuickTime codecs. They're dropping the old 32-bit legacy codecs that have been dead or dying for a while.

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Apr 5, 2018 at 5:26:05 am

AIFF works fine (import and export) in new version. Not sure what other info above is in error.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:46:26 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Got a gorgeous sunset shot taken in DVCPro HD? Not any more, you don't!"

DVCPRO HD as a Quicktime codec is still in. Although pooping on Adobe is your shtick you should probably check some of these claims before posting.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2018 at 2:51:29 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:26:13 pm

Hey, I just know what I read. I stay a version behind on Adobe software and wait for the bug fixes and rude surprises of the new version.

That chart at the top of the thread comes from Adobe. And as I look at it, I see no AIFF and no DVCPro HD, just to mention two. If they are indeed available, then Adobe's chart is wrong.

I wonder if it's tougher to get a chart right or to get software right?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:15:28 pm

The chart says "Uncompressed" audio files are supported. AIFF and WAV are both uncompressed audio formats.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:26:31 pm

I guess I shouldn't write software. Be glad I don't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 5, 2018 at 9:48:50 pm

It also occurs to me that DVCPro and DVCProHD are technically just modified flavors of DV (which is on the list), and it could easily be extrapolated that Photo Jpeg and Jpeg 2000 might fall under the "JPEG" moniker, which is also on the list. I would tend to think that this is just a list in which some specific codec flavors have been eliminated in favor of umbrella terms (which may or may not have been strictly correct).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]