After Effects and PostScript Fonts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mac
After Effects and PostScript Fonts
on Apr 4, 2018 at 7:04:31 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mac on Apr 4, 2018 at 8:04:56 pm

Hello all,

Ran the April update this morning on a test rig and am noticing that both AE and Premiere no longer list PostScript Type 1 fonts in their respective font menus? Has anyone else seen this behavior with the latest update? Photoshop, Illustrator, all retain the ability to see PS Type 1 fonts, seems to be just the video programs?

System Specs
Mac Pro 5,1 2012
128 GB RAM
GTX 980 with latest driver as of this morning
macOS 10.12.6
Running FontExplorer X for font management (also updated to latest version)

Thanks for any feedback!

"I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes, just in case."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects and PostScript Fonts
on Apr 4, 2018 at 8:10:22 pm

Glad you chose a test machine. With a big update like this, Adobe will have left plenty of bugs behind. You may want to file a bug report.

Adobe ALSO dropped many of the popular codecs in Quicktime. Could they have done the same with postscript typefaces?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Mac
on Apr 4, 2018 at 8:37:22 pm

Thanks Dave, you are correct about the importance of a test rig. I saw the QuickTime note as well, inevitable I suppose. Out of curiosity do you have a rig with the latest AE on it and can you see PS Type 1 fonts? Hope it isn't another of those "we ran out of time to include everything" moments like happened with the font previews not too long ago.

Given that it is still working in AE CC 2017 and also works in native Mac applications such as Notepad, Pages, etc. It is clearly something going on with the latest update. Anyone else experiencing or not experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 4, 2018 at 9:32:58 pm

Sorry, but I can't test the fonts -- I stay a CC version behind. I'm on cc 2017.

Apple dropped Quicktime support for Windows, which predicated the whole mess.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Mac
on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:22:21 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mac on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:33:29 pm

Just as an update to this issue, I posted the same question on the After Effects forum at adobe.com and received the following reply from Tim Kurkoski:

Tim Kurkoski
Adobe Employee
Apr 4, 2018 2:59 PM

We are investigating a problem where After Effects 15.1 is unable to see certain PostScript fonts. This is an unintentional change, and we're still in the discovery phase.

Workarounds in the meantime for this would be to convert the font or obtain an OpenType or TrueType version of it. Failing that, create the text in Photoshop and use the PSD source instead of a native text layer in After Effects. (Yes, that's a bit of a hassle, which would work best if you're not animating the text and don't have to do more editing.) Sorry about the hiccup here.

No explanation as to what "certain PostScript fonts" means but it does seem that the problem is universal. Maybe it's only affecting the front part of the alphabet, to be fair I didn't check any fonts starting with S or later. Maybe it's only affecting PostScript fonts whose names remind them of an unpleasant food they were forced to eat as children, so they used this as their moment of revenge...maybe they are skipping the fonts that have a funny smell...maybe they're leaving out the fonts that...(wanders off mumbling more theories to himself)

Good Luck, Tim...we're all counting on you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:35:53 pm

An "unintentional change" and they're still in the "discovery phase", huh?

To be blunt, the new software broke things that previously worked well -- it's A BUG.
And they don't know how to fix it yet.

I, for one, am NOT counting on Adobe for a fast fix.
It's things like this that make me grateful I stay a version behind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]