FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrong codecs & containers for after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Case
Wrong codecs & containers for after effects?
on Apr 4, 2018 at 2:30:14 pm

Hi all, first of all I have to say that I'm not a professional but want to be in future. I'm working nearly every day on my AfterEffects, Photoshop and Premiere skills and it is truly a long road to learn the basics of the technical components. As a test I collected many videos from friends and wanted to edit them. The problem - and I was aware of it - is that neither the fps nor the format are equal. I got videos with 23,98 fps, 29 fps, 50 fps, files with the containers .MOV and .MP4.

tl;dr: It's a HUGE mess of data and I want to clean it, edit it and make a strong video out of that.

The output will be 24 FPS, I'm pretty sure after converting other fps rates to 24 fps some frames will drop (is there a program which won't do this?) but this is ok, so I try to use the data loss as something stylistic in the video.
A bigger problem is the workflow of AfterEffects with all that files. Is there a good working container for AfterEffects to which I should convert? Or how I can prepare all data to have a fluent workload in relation of a video full of 3D elements, distortions, data moshing and some other cyberpunk effects?

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
Re: Wrong codecs & containers for after effects?
on Apr 4, 2018 at 11:21:56 pm

Years ago there was AFX filter named Effects->Time->Timewarp, where was possible to retime footage. Nowadays, some smart frame blending in AFX is available by clicking / [Quality] switch next to the layer's name, untill it turns into curved line. Also, there are several third-party plugins to do this, like Twixtor from Revisionfx.com. Search google-videos with "retiming footage in after effects" - all you need is there.
Type of container is little of importance, however you won't squeeze out better quality image. In turn, make sure to encode your rendered source footage in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 quality MOVs, like ProRez (Mac only) or Avid DNxHR.
Cyberpunk.. why 24fps?

Nh

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 5, 2018 at 12:37:24 am

Just watch out for the edges - the time warping filters still have trouble with new objects coming in from outside frame.

Return to posts index

Michael Case
on Apr 5, 2018 at 5:59:00 pm

Wait a second. It seems you know more than me about Cyberpunk. I thought about editing the videos in Processing or avidemux and import them into an 24fps timeline. What exactly do you mean by asking 'why'?

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
on Apr 6, 2018 at 12:09:46 am

Was just wondering as Cyber is rather digital in it's essence, while 24fps is more about analogue tech (film cinema), could be more steampunk related. 😉 However, on the serious side, fps is rather serious thing to consider, as it depends on the target platform's tech specs. Find this out before you downrate all the footage to 24fps.

Nh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]