FORUMS: list search recent posts

round trip workflow between AE and Davinci Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Gaber
round trip workflow between AE and Davinci Resolve
on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:20:18 pm

I need to make some trips back and forth between adding FX in AE and editing in DR, and I don't want to degrade my footage with serial compressions (I'm of the photographers' "never do multiple saves on JPEGs" school).

What are my best choices for loseless (or minimally loseless) output settings when I render between these apps?

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Gaber

OSX High Sierra 10.13.3
iMac 27" late 2013
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB
DR 14.33.0.014
AE 15.0.0

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: round trip workflow between AE and Davinci Resolve
on Apr 3, 2018 at 6:16:39 pm

We're partial to QT animation Best. Its uncompressed but run length encoded so it ends up generating a smaller file (in MB) than say an AVI uncompressed. The down side is that its only 8bit.
There used to be a format of EXR that was RLE but gave you all the color head room you like. But if size isn't an issue then EXR, Cineon or ACES should fit the bill - its what they were designed for. Just make sure to check the flavour of each as there are different modes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 8:12:29 pm

If you've got the storage for them, you can't beat image sequences for quality.
There are quite a few in the Output Module settings, but I'd probably go for a DPX/Cineon sequence. Be very careful to dig deeply into the Format Options if you use color management.

Personally, I'd use a PNG sequence. I don't need anything better than that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 3, 2018 at 9:05:40 pm

I think PNG is only 8 bit though and these days, especially for grading, you need that extra head room with 10 bit linear being the bare minimum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 9:54:28 pm

[Steve Bentley] ".....especially for grading, you need that extra head room with 10 bit linear being the bare minimum."

Oh! You're doing that fancy After Effects work!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 3, 2018 at 11:10:55 pm

I wouldn't call wanting smooth artifact-less gradients "fancy". There aren't even enough colors in the 8bit gamut to do a smooth blue gradient from one side of a 1920 frame to the other. 8 bit was fine back in the 640x480 days but when you combine the increase in fidelity we have now, with the rampant codec use/misuse, and then add in the dumbing down of how stuff is shot, you need all the head room you can get to "fix it in post"; instead of your client shooting it right the first time and providing you with a high quality master.

On the other hand, in TV land at least, by the time it gets to air and sent to TV (or burned to a disk), its been so crushed, footage is often a ghost of its original, so going the extra mile, er... bits, may not amount to a hill of beans.

But back to the original topic - EXR also has the advantage of holding multiple channels beyond the normal RGBA. What I don't know though is if Davinci will pass those channels or just cuts them off.
And speaking of Davinci - doesn't Black Magic own them now? What about the Black Magic codec. Its pretty clean, 10bit and provides nice compact files that play in real time (with a card). They must have an effortless work flow for DR by now.

Return to posts index

Bruce Gaber
on Apr 4, 2018 at 8:18:13 pm

Thanks to all. This was really helpful. And yes, Blackmagic owns DaVinici and the app is FREE!

Bruce

Bruce Gaber

OSX High Sierra 10.13.3
iMac 27" late 2013
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB
DR 14.33.0.014
AE 15.0.0

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason