FORUMS: list search recent posts

The new version of AE that's coming out tomorrow (!) has a game-changing new feature

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Szalapski
The new version of AE that's coming out tomorrow (!) has a game-changing new feature
on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:11:12 am
Last Edited By Michael Szalapski on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:12:25 am

One of the biggest new features to hit After Effects in a decade has just been announced in this article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/adobe-intros-master-propert...

Master Properties are massive.

Adobe gave me an opportunity to preview this feature and it is a game changer. I've had projects where this would have saved me literally days of work.

Imagine if you produce a video that is delivered in ten different languages. In your project, you have ten screens of titles. That's 100 comps total.
Then the creative director or the client comes back and goes, "Can the animation be faster?" Instead of having to mess with animation keyframes across ten layers in 100 comps (that would be 1,000 layers of animation you need to fix), you do it once... ONCE!!!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The new version of AE that's coming out tomorrow (!) has a game-changing new feature
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:06:05 am

Uh huh. Do you actually believe they'll work as advertised?

Or will you find yourself backpedaling after a couple of weeks?

I guess it's time to install CC 2018. No more bug fixes coming. And that worries me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: The new version of AE that's coming out tomorrow (!) has a game-changing new feature
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:18:38 am

They worked for me as advertised when I previewed them, yes.
It's one of the biggest new features to hit AE in a decade. For some people, it won't matter much, but for a lot of people it's huge. I know some folks for whomthis will save days of work. Heck, I'VE had projects where this would have saved days of work.

As far as installing CC 2018 goes, why not? You can have it installed alongside older versions without issue. (Also, the article doesn't say if this is a new version that would install alongside CC 2018 or if it is an update to CC 2018. Regardless, when this comes out tomorrow, you should install it and check out Master Properties. I think, as an old hand at AE, you'll immediately see the benefits.)

Think about it, if you create graphics that go out to multilingual destinations (more and more folks have to do this on a regular basis), this is going to save a massive amount of time. Let's say you have ten graphics - all the same comp, but different text. And you have ten different languages you need to deliver in (100 different comps). You produce everything and send it off. Then the creative director or the client comes back and goes, "The animation needs to be faster." Instead of fixing the animation on ten layers in 100 different comps (that's 1,000 layers of animation you need to fix), you just fix the animation in one comp and all the rest just reflect the change.

It's ridiculous the amount of time this can save.

Heck, let's say you just do one language. Still, say, the CD comes back and goes, "We need a different font." You don't have to go through all ten comps to change it, just change it in one.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 3, 2018 at 7:32:50 am

I can see this being useful. I can also see this being a thing where you can mess up a whole project really easily.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 3, 2018 at 12:11:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up Michael...

I can see this being usefull for the font changes, and all the things we didn't have direct access (which is basically font/kerning stuff that I can think of right now). As for the rest, how does it differs from copy/pasting with properties links? Does AE works faster? Does the engine recieved changes or they just "hid the expressions" part?

Because in my workflow I usually have a "one composition controls them all" setup.

But still, I appreciate the updates, I'll have to wait and see if its a game changer though.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:27:18 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:41:34 pm

If you work in a big, corporate marketing department making animation after animation for a deep and complex web site, making changes daily or perhaps even hourly, this is a very big deal indeed.

Oh, wait -- marketing! Adobe Marketing Cloud!
What do you want to bet that the goal is to create animations automatically when AE receives data directly from Adobe Marketing Cloud?

There are a boatload more corporate marketing departments than there are movie makers, program producers, ad agencies or TV stations! Yeah! Adobe can rent 'em Creative Cloud along with Marketing Cloud! They'll have everything in-house that way and everything will start looking the same! Who needs creativity?

What a bright future! I'm gonna need those eclipse glasses I held onto!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:04:14 pm

[Dave LaRonde] " Who needs creativity?"

I think you're missing the point. The Master Properties thing is going to save a TON of time we used to spend doing repetitive, non-creative stuff giving us more time to do the actual work of being creative.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:52:34 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "The Master Properties thing is going to save a TON of time we used to spend doing repetitive, non-creative stuff giving us more time to do the actual work of being creative."

-- OR --

It'll allow people to do the creative in the same limited amount of time, and then just turn on the sausage factory for the hundreds of nearly-identical animations mandated by the marketing director.

Either one fits, y'know.

How much do you want to bet we'll start seeing a lot more questions along the lines of the following:

"I just made all tomorrow's changes using AE's Master properties. Is there a way to render all 387 of them out really fast on a different machine so I can keep working in AE?"

I hasten to add -- that is NOT why God made Adobe Media Encoder.

I tell you, Michael -- it'll be a sausage factory! It's what the marketing directors demand! Custom animations personalized to the client, taking the personal data directly from Adobe Marketing Cloud! You just wait!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Arbor
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:09:54 pm

I also got the opportunity to preview this feature, and Dave, after playing with it I suspect you'll rethink whether this is just some nonsense feature to get automatic animation done (or perhaps not). Either way, this is a game changing feature that has already simplified my workflow.

Markety-sounding language or not, it's true, and it's easy enough to go find out now.

-David
http://www.davidarbor.com
Editor/Videography/Graphics

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 6:52:09 pm

[David Arbor] "Markety-sounding language or not, it's true, and it's easy enough to go find out now."

Sorry, not yet! I never, EVER bite on the initial release of an Adobe product.

I don't like being part of the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program. I wait until the first major bug fix and preferably the second. Interestingly, by the time of the second big bug fix it's getting to be time for a new version.

I agree that automatic animations aren't here yet. It would require tight integration with Adobe Marketing cloud. But it's coming, just wait and see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:38:34 pm

It's not like copying with expression links.

I mean, it kind of is inasmuch as you have a bunch of duplicates that match and follow one main one, but the key is that there aren't really duplicates and you have a lot more control. You can add expressions, you can move keyframes around, you can make values wildly different and you can then push changes back into or pull from the original comp.

I mean, it's out now, so you can update and try it yourself. ☺ (Unless you're in the middle of a project - I usually don't recommend updating in the middle of a project.)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:16:41 pm

The official blog post is up now with videos demonstrating the new features: https://theblog.adobe.com/effects-updates-spring-2018/

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 4:56:42 pm

[Michael Szalapski] " I usually don't recommend updating in the middle of a project."

I usually don't recommend updating to the most recent version! And I still have fundamental doubts about CC 2018 -- I don't think there have been two major bug fixes on it yet.

Ominously, there will be no more.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 3, 2018 at 5:59:07 pm

This is an update to CC 2018...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 3, 2018 at 6:25:44 pm

Actually 2018 hasn't been too bad. Once we got used to the Purge requirement to fix little gremlins it wasn't too much to sacrifice.
I much preferred having more control over the memory management than previous versions that wouldn't release the ram even after app exit or worse, wouldn't release the app even after exit. Having more control in this area more than made up for the occasional (ok, ok... frequent) purging of the ram.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 7:22:54 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "This is an update to CC 2018..."

Great. That's even spookier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Arbor
on Apr 3, 2018 at 9:09:23 pm

As Michael said, it's an update to CC 2018, but per your own guidance, you should be ready for this one, Dave. It is, in fact, the second major update to CC 2018 since last October. The first was 15.0.1, which had lots of bug fixes, and this is 15.1 with lots of bug fixes and now new features.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2018 at 11:12:56 pm

Thanks, but I will bide my time. Case in point: I got CC 2017 a week before CC 2018 was released.
Smartest move I've made in a while -- it had all the bug fixes it was going to get.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Apr 5, 2018 at 5:55:46 pm

@Michael Szalapski,

You are right---this is a fantastic feature, useful immediately and a huge time saver.

Here's an application that came up instantly, today:

I had a pre-comp with a logo over some footage.

I found that I wanted to use that same footage later but without the logo.
Just popped into the precomp and added the logo opacity as a master control.
Then copied the precomp to its new location and turned down the opacity.
Fabulous.

Thanks also Michael for your unflappable niceness. Folks might not say much about it but it is noticed and appreciated.

Lance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]