FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Can I Use AE Face Tracking Data?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Tanny
How Can I Use AE Face Tracking Data?
on Mar 30, 2018 at 2:35:42 pm

Greetings all,

I'm considering the purchase of AE and am trying to better understand how I could use the face tracking data generated by the program. I've watched a number of videos and have the general idea of how to generate the data, and am now looking for creative ideas of what I can do with that data once I have it. A few questions may help get us started...

1) Could I use face detail tracking data to animate the movement of the face features? Could I for instance make the eyes widen, the eyebrows rise, the smile grow or close etc?

2) Could I use the face detail tracking data from a video to animate the features of a still image?

What can I do with face tracking data? Any discussion is appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How Can I Use AE Face Tracking Data?
on Mar 30, 2018 at 5:29:25 pm

The face tracker only gives you the ability to put one face over another. That's it. Nothing fancier than that.

Furthermore, It does its job with varying degrees of success depending on the complexity of the original face motion and the quality of the video -- it ain't a lead-pipe cinch you'll get a good track.

So if that's the ONLY thing you want AE for, save your dough. I don't think it would be worth it for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Tanny
on Mar 30, 2018 at 8:16:47 pm

Thanks Dave, appreciate your reply.

I'm currently face swapping in another software which I'm generally pretty happy with. I have the option to add Mocha for a supposedly better track.

I was investigating AE mostly because of the face detail tracking. In the videos I've watched people are doing things like using that detail tracking to add cheesy fake mustaches. Yea, I can do that where I am, so not enough benefit there to merit going AE.

I see AE is tracking details like eyebrows. Why? What did the developers have in mind for that data? Also, I see Photoshop has a lot of face manipulation features, so I'm wondering whether such manipulations can be automated in AE.

I guess my question is, if all I can do in AE is face swap, what's all the data for??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2018 at 8:56:11 pm

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I played around with face replacement for only a free half-hour.
It's not very relevant to my work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]