FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to control a shape layer or a mask by sound

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
itamar inbar
How to control a shape layer or a mask by sound
on Mar 29, 2018 at 10:31:38 pm

Red Giant / sound keys Plugin / Question

Hello, I am looking for a way to control a shape layer or a mask by sound.
Or in other words, I wish to control/influence the position of a point with a sound frequency range.

For example, I attach this picture here. How can I make a specific point in the shape to move according to the height of a specific bar in the spectrum?

The ultimate goal will be to connect each point to a specific bar in the spectrum.

Any help will be appreciated, Thx.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to control a shape layer or a mask by sound
on Mar 29, 2018 at 11:02:33 pm

There are all sorts of visualizer tutorials on the internet, and most use AE's Audio Spectrum effect. You should look them up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

itamar inbar
on Mar 30, 2018 at 6:58:42 am

Hey Dave,
I know there is all sorts of visualizer tutorials on the internet and I saw dozens of them but, non of them is doing what I want.

Do you know how to do it?

Thank you,
Itamar

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 30, 2018 at 9:47:40 pm

What version of AE do you have? In 2017 and later you can access each point on a shape and tie its position to some other layer's attribute like SoundKeys.
If you have 2016 or before you will have to use a mask control script like Mask Avenger because points on a mask weren't natively controlable back then.

Return to posts index

itamar inbar
on Mar 31, 2018 at 8:18:32 am

Hey Steve, thank you for your comment.

I just updated from 2015cc to 2018.
Can you please help me and explain how can I access a point on a shape and tie its position to other layer's attribute like SoundKeys.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 31, 2018 at 8:26:20 am

Sure.
I've found you have to make a keyframe on your mask path before you do this next step( but it may not be necessary in some instances).
Then with that path selected in your timeline, under the Window menu select Create Nulls from Paths (mine is near the bottom of the list but you may also find it in the File/Scripts menu).
Then you have a choice - you can click nulls follow points or points follow nulls or trace path.
If you choose points follow nulls then each node along the path is linked to a null which is positioned right on top of where each node is. You can animate those nulls as you would any object with eases and keyframes or expressions.
Then you can just link your audio to those nulls either through expressions or copy and paste or pickwhips.

Return to posts index

itamar inbar
on Mar 31, 2018 at 8:53:33 am

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]