FORUMS: list search recent posts

Track Matte Transparency issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Illium
Track Matte Transparency issues
on Mar 29, 2018 at 5:09:33 pm

I've taken over an animation project from someone and I'm supposed to fix a few problems. Most of it has gone smoothly, but there is one animation I can not seem to crack.

In it, a bit of text is made into a track matte paired with an adjustment layer so as the track matte increases in opacity, the text and all layers below become fully transparent so a video layer can be seen behind the animation. But instead of becoming transparent, it resolves into a checkered background (which is confusing because it is sometimes a comp background, but these comps have black backgrounds). I've tried a number of things but I can't seem to get the transparency to work properly.

As you can see in this picture, the opacity of the track matte goes from 0 to 100 (sorry I can't show the animation but I signed an NDA) and the adjustment layer should affect all the layers below:

And here is the fill layer precomp:

I feel like this is an easy fix but I can't figure out what it is. I appreciate any guidance.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Track Matte Transparency issues
on Mar 29, 2018 at 7:08:48 pm

Let me try to understand things, Is your "deep red solid comp..." composed of two layer simulating whats a transparency is?

And what is the adjustment layer doing? How does it have anything to do with the track matte and the comp. I have no idea what it's going with your post alone. We can't see the effects on the adjustment layer, how am I supposed to understand what it should be doing and ain't.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Track Matte Transparency issues
on Mar 29, 2018 at 7:17:10 pm

Let me try to understand things, Is your "deep red solid comp..." composed of two layer simulating whats a transparency is?

And what is the adjustment layer doing? How does it have anything to do with the track matte and the comp. I have no idea what it's going with your post alone. We can't see the effects on the adjustment layer, how am I supposed to understand what it should be doing and ain't.

[Dave Illium] "a bit of text is made into a track matte paired with an adjustment layer so as the track matte increases in opacity, the text and all layers below become fully transparent"

And what do you mean by "paired?". That's not how adjustment layers work... By your post alone all I can presume is thats there is NO interaction at all from your text and comp with the adjustment layer.

What you're describing is exactly the use of the Silhouette Alpha blending mode... Just toogle video on the text and set it to Silhouette Alpha.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]