FORUMS: list search recent posts

Complex Stroke Path - Trim Path Reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Norman
Complex Stroke Path - Trim Path Reveal
on Mar 28, 2018 at 5:19:29 pm

Hello,

I have a PNG image of a brain that I would like to reveal, ideally with a a white dot branching out to reveal a white brain icon.

I first used the generate stroke effect but found that this progressed too quickly as the brush size would have to be massive to reveal the image, which would accidentally reveal other strands of the brain.

I have now autotraced the PNG and copied all of the paths on to a shape layer. I am using stroke path and trim path to reveal the strands, and employing the paths as masks to contain the stroke within the brain strands.

There are two main problems that I am encountering, one of them is that the trim paths are again revealing other strands of the brain icon that they overlap.
The second issue is that the reveal does not start off slow from the centre, but instead goes from 0 to 100 real quick, by revealing all strands pretty instantly.

Anyone know a better way of doing this that makes it look cleaner?

Thanks,
Will

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Complex Stroke Path - Trim Path Reveal
on Mar 28, 2018 at 5:32:24 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 28, 2018 at 5:46:46 pm

Not really. It's always been a problem to get track mattes to be the right size when they reveal the intersections of stuff on the layers they reveal. You have to be really precise, and it's a pain. There's no automatic way to fix it, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:07:21 pm

If you want to grow it outward from a central point, you could overlay your brain graphic on a circular gradient, and use a gradient-mapped fade.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:25:44 pm

Or effects/transitions/gradientWipe (in the end this may be the same as Blaise's gradient mapped fade)
You can also use gradientwipe along a path that has a gradient mapped to it - think: travelling comet with no position keyframes needed.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:32:59 pm

Gradient Wipe was what I was thinking of--thanks Steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]