FORUMS: list search recent posts

duplicating compositions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Hutt
duplicating compositions
on Mar 26, 2018 at 7:56:33 pm

Is there a way in After Effects that I can duplicate a composition, keep that composition in the original composition and then adjust items in the new composition without affecting the original composition?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: duplicating compositions
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:20:26 pm

There's a script that does this for you but I just duplicate the layer in the comp, tell AE to find it for me in the project footage list, duplicate it there and then option or alt drag it back ontop of the one in the comp (which has to be selected for the alt drag to work). Now you have two versions, each unique of that original comp. Changing whats inside one will not affect the other.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:21:59 pm

You are referring to Nested comps or Precomps, probably. It's simple -- highlight the comp in question in the project pane and duplicate it (cmd / ctl d) and give it a new name.

It's now completely independent from the original... barring any nested comps within it, of course. You'd have to pull the same trick on them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:27:06 pm

Good point Dave,
Richard, If you have a lot of nested within nested comps you can really go down the rabbit hole because each of those increasingly inner comps probably also has to be unique. Perhaps the script is a better idea.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:37:27 pm

There's this one
https://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

There are a few more that have slightly different functionality depending on your need.

Return to posts index

Richard Hutt
on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:02:33 pm

Steve and dave.. Jeez this is maddening. Ive been at it for 3 hours trying to copy, rename...nothing is working right. I have gone down that rabbitt hole and like the guy in the cave...I'm loooooooooost.

Ive tried to go ahead and buy this script program you mentioned, but they wont send a confirmation email to go ahead with the purchase. Are there any other scripts for Ae out there that I can get hold of

Return to posts index

Richard Hutt
on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:28:24 pm

Steve, I got this True Comp Duplicator downloaded but Im not sure what to do with it now. I tried double clicking it, but I get and error form AE that says it is upssupported. ANy idea how to get this thing working?

Return to posts index

Richard Hutt
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:45:38 pm

Okay guys, I will try this in the morning Thanks so much for the help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 26, 2018 at 9:41:58 pm

A good workflow prior to duplicating a Comp with precomps that reach further down than a single level in the hierarchy is to organize all the related comps, in the Project Panel, into a folder.

Name the Comps appropriately and use numbered suffixes to define their relationship to the Master/'Final' comp. Then duplicate the folder and replace the precomps accordingly. Once organized into a folder, the duplication keeps all related comps in a context which allows for simpler substitution/replacement into their relevant/duplicated main comps.

PathSlicer - Advanced AE Shape Layer Effect
http://www.broadcastgems.com/pathSlicer
- create highly customizable custom animated fonts
- create amazing transitions
- create cool lower 3rds and panels
- create burst effects
Do it all on a single Shape layer with minimal keyframes.

TypeGEMs - The Most Compete Type Tool Effect for AE
http://www.broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
BorisFX mocha Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 30, 2018 at 9:45:38 pm

TrueComp Duplicator probably goes in the script folder which is a folder right beside your AE applicatoin (at the same heirarchy level).
Then you acces it by either going to File/Scripts and choose it from the list there. or you go to the Windows menu and it will be an item in there. Once run you might be able to Dock it to your interface.
There should be installation and usage docs in the download, no?

Return to posts index

Richard Hutt
on Apr 2, 2018 at 11:55:09 am

Thank you Steve, I do appreciate your help.
Richard

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
on Apr 2, 2018 at 9:22:36 pm

Assuming, you don't have too much scripted things in your project, you can simply save your project and import it in your open project. Find in the Project window automatically created folder with that imported project and drag necessary precomp into main comp. Rename new comps if you need more serious data organization, run Depencencies..->Reduce project after all duplication is done. No scripts needed, free.
Save. Import. Repeat.

Nh

Return to posts index

Richard Hutt
on Apr 3, 2018 at 11:45:37 am

Neil, I had a co worker suggest this very thing and it worked like a champ. Wish I had asked him b4 I paid for a solution. Thanks for your reply
Richard

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:18:52 am

If you can hold on until tomorrow, there's a new feature that is about to blow your mind and it releases tomorrow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/adobe-intros-master-propert...

It does exactly what you're asking for, but in a much more elegant and powerful way.

Adobe gave me the opportunity to preview Master Properties and it is a game-changer. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]