FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can 3d tracker be attached when

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Alex
Can 3d tracker be attached when
on Mar 26, 2018 at 3:21:56 pm

Hi
I'm not to after and 3d tracking, and would love to get a general feedback on how to proceed with this clip,
My questions are:

I'm trying to stick a text unto this helicopter's plane, but, there are hardly any tracking points on the helicopter (2 points appear but for a few frames only)

is this too much for the 3d tracker to handle? low quality of shoot?
https://vimeo.com/261845789/15eadf2928

Can 3d tracker maintain tracker of the swing / flip from one side of helicopter to the other?

via GIPHY

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can 3d tracker be attached when
on Mar 26, 2018 at 5:05:22 pm

That shot's going to send AE's 3D tracker off the deep end. Visually, the helicopter's rotating -- and crossing the craft's center line -- from right to left, but the background's moving from left to right.

If you can isolate the helicopter from the background, you might -- repeat, MIGHT -- be able to get a track. Even then, that's going to be as huge stretch.

If you're resolved to do it anyway, I really believe you're looking at a ton of hand work. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Mar 26, 2018 at 5:53:41 pm

[Dave LaRonde] " I really believe you're looking at a ton of hand work. "

If it's not such a long shot (like the sample posted there), at least the movement is fairly smooth and consistent - so I would think it might actually be reasonably doable key framing "by hand"...

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:30:25 pm

I think that clip could be fine in the 3D Camera Tracker. I've made clips like this work before, I don't see why this one wouldn't. The helicopter doesn't appear to be moving counter to the camera's movement--if it was, THAT would screw up the 3D Camera Tracker, but it appears to be holding mostly still, so you might get good adhesion.

Otherwise, planar tracking in Mocha would probably do the trick.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:41:22 pm

As a matter of fact, I just brought this GIF into AE to test it, and I can easily get the 3D Camera Tracker to see the helicopter. Check the "Detailed Analysis" check box.

Here's proof: 12296_helicoptertest.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:53:35 pm

[Blaise Douros] "Here's proof"

nice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2018 at 5:42:47 pm

Well, I certainly stand corrected!

However, I envisioned the OP's desired shot to look like the helicopter was hauling text behind it, much like an airplane can drag a banner behind it in real life. Which is tougher.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 28, 2018 at 4:48:45 pm

Even that wouldn't necessarily be any harder, if you can get a good track. You just place it on the helicopter, and use the XYZ positioning properties to move the text backwards in 3D space. The camera does the heavy lifting once it's tracked, so you just have to get it positioned correctly in 3D space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]