FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Green Screen Dancing Edge Pixels (After Effects CS6)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Dodds
Re: Green Screen Dancing Edge Pixels (After Effects CS6)
on Mar 23, 2018 at 9:30:27 pm

Hey Steve,

In school, we used a Blackmagic camera in our RAW class and it worked out great, I'm just not the best when it comes to RAW footage and color correcting. I don't have a budget when it comes to renting things and we used a 60D in school (our lower classes), so I got that one because it worked well. I was thinking about getting a 80D because I do have people in my state, that are videographers, that suggested that.

This is the info from MediaInfo about the footage from my camera:

Complete name: E:\DCIM\100CANON\MVI_1882.MOV
Format: MPEG-4
Format profile: QuickTime
Codec ID: qt 2007.09 (qt /CAEP)
File size: 364 MiB
Duration: 1 min 4 s
Overall bit rate: 47.5 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-03-14 13:50:56
Tagged date : UTC 2018-03-14 13:50:56

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L5
Format settings : 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1 min 4 s
Bit rate : 46.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Original height : 1 088 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Original display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.925
Stream size : 352 MiB (97%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2018-03-14 13:50:56
Tagged date : UTC 2018-03-14 13:50:56
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709

I exported the 6 sec clip from Premiere in H.264/DSLR, so that is one reason why it might not be working on your end. It looks like my codec that it is using is AVC, which might be less compression?

The thing is I use all of my own equipment, so I don't rent or borrow anything. I do need to look at the footage zoomed in on my camera, as it always adds grain and it's not flattering.

For the screen, I thought about that, but it is difficult to get them and set them up everytime I shoot, so I normally thumbtack it up, which I understand isn't the best option. I did order a blue-screen, since I did get some advice, outside of this forum, that a blue screen might be a better option, but everything you talked about, it probably wont work with my camera and it's settings.

Where can I get green gelled lights and do you have a good lighting kit? I bought a photography lighting kit with fluorescent light bulbs, so that is my only thing I have. It just sucks that my camera and lens doesn't pick up enough light to do much with it. The next time I record my next veterinarian, I will have them farther away from the green screen, I just know that I will not able to to use the footage I have too much, since the deed is done. I am just happy I recorded the footage without the green screen!

Since I am an one-man team, I am not able to do everything like that by myself, especially with no budget, besides what comes out of my pocket. I liked the dayglow lime green color. Again, I got this green muslin from a photography kit, so it was what came with it. I will try to find a dayglow lime green color muslin for my next shoots.

Again, I am limited on what I can do at the place I work, so I will have to try to find a 20by or 20x.

Lighting has been one of my biggest weaknesses. I want to get some LED lights that I can change from Tungsten to Daylight, as I think that would fit the feel of my work, but I just don't have the best lighting set up. I did try to light the green screen more, since I knew that would be my biggest issue, but it looks like I need way more lights than I have!

We were taught that H.264 was something that was really great, and it is, but not for what I am doing! We even used a 60D and H.264 format and pulled a good key (one of the only times we used green screen work). It can be done, but it's very rare and I understand what you are saying.

What kind of capture card are you thinking/using?

I took a digital effects class in college and it was fun, but something that I never wanted to do full time/as my career, but green screen work sounded fun, but after this experience, I know I have way more to learn about stuff like this and it's nice. Like stated above, I am an one-man team, so I am the director, producer, editor, renderer, and poster, so I do it all. I do get some guidance from my supervisor, as to what I should be recording, but nobody knows about film/video/recording, so that is why I came to this blog. I did research this topic before I came here and learned some stuff, but nothing compared to my dilemma, so I do appreciate your help and with your words of encouragement and guidance, I will try to work it out. My next plans of action is to figure out what codecs I can record in, on my 60D, the distance from the background and the screen/frame, getting a new lime green screen, and maybe getting a better camera body, since that might be some of my issue there (due to not picking up enough light).

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]