FORUMS: list search recent posts

How i can achieve face melt effect in After Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Usama Sarwar
How i can achieve face melt effect in After Effect
on Mar 18, 2018 at 2:41:48 pm

I just watched this song of Maroon 5 "WAIT" and i was wondering how did they achieve this face melt effect (picture attached below). Also i watched the behind the scenes, they took multiple takes of the same shot with same angels i think in which first they shot it with a green mask on Alex's face and the rest was without the mask.

So my question here is that can we achieve this effect in After Effects if we can please share how.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Usama

(link of the Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uTNVumfm84)

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How i can achieve face melt effect in After Effect
on Mar 19, 2018 at 3:55:56 am

Thats not so much an effect as some good compositing and planning.
They probably shot a clean plate (no actor), the plate with the actor with the clay overlay mask (the pink hockey mask thing) and then the beauty pass with all the actors and action. They may have run a pass of her in a green screen mask so they can get Adams hands separately.

Then you track the actors face in the beauty pass, add in a the green screen separated hands over top of the real actor and match the move to the the clay reveal pass and do a bit of masking. The multi coloured layers of the peel back are probably layers of clay built into the flesh colored mask so that melt effect was actually done practically as he smushes the clay mask up.

I think I might have eliminated two steps by making the outer layer of clay green and letting the inter colors reveal through thereby making their own mask and keying Adams hands all at the same time, but they may have found in some tests that it was easier to blend in a flesh colored clay mask on to the real skin instead of fighting green spill and a keyer generated mask.

Return to posts index

Usama Sarwar
Re: How i can achieve face melt effect in After Effect
on Mar 19, 2018 at 9:08:45 am

Thank you so much Steve for explaining the entire possible situation, this was really helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]