FORUMS: list search recent posts

edges shadows in 3d element

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ali brakat
edges shadows in 3d element
on Mar 17, 2018 at 4:08:48 pm

Hi,
i am using 3d element to present a product and i can't figure out how to get red of this harsh unrealistic edge shadows
the edges are curvy and what would solve the issue is to change the colors of these shadows to a more silver tone let me know if there is a way to do it
12261_capture3.jpg.zip
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: edges shadows in 3d element
on Mar 17, 2018 at 10:02:48 pm

Could you please share your image in some way that doesn't involve us having to download a zip file?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ali brakat
on Mar 17, 2018 at 10:10:47 pm

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 17, 2018 at 10:22:57 pm

Much better!
I don't think that's really an issue with any shadows; that looks to me like an issue with the shading and how the light falloff works.
What happens if you change your materials to Physical Shaders instead of Standard Shaders (assuming you're using Element V.2)?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ali brakat
on Mar 18, 2018 at 12:06:23 am

sorry about the zip file i uploaded it here and it automatically compressed it i pasted the link without noticing
i am already using physical shader and tried to add a spot light directly on the edge it didn't get rid of the black edge,
i want to make it a bit lighter
i am using comp lights

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 18, 2018 at 12:49:13 am
Last Edited By Mark Whitney on Mar 18, 2018 at 12:50:41 am

Do you have the check box in E3D's Render settings under Lighting checked on to actually Use Comp Lights though is what I meant.

If so, then it might be the reflecivity setting of the object overriding diffusion for example, but it doesn't look particularly reflective in your image. There are a number of things that affect how E3D ends up looking, that often the best course is to simplify & isolate what's doing what. In other words, is it the object surface settings, E3D's Environment Map, Effect Control settings, the Comps' lights, etc.?

It's really a 2D effect mimicing 3D and somethings won't behave as you might logically expect.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 18, 2018 at 2:18:41 am

Does adding an ambient light make it go away?

Any chance you could share a stripped-down file that demonstrates the issue for one of us to poke at?

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 18, 2018 at 3:05:21 am

[Michael Szalapski] "Does adding an ambient light make it go away?

Any chance you could share a stripped-down file that demonstrates the issue for one of us to poke at?"

T'was going to suggest that as well. Just tried this with the free VideoCoPilot IPhone 5 from a few years back in a very basic, vanilla scene set up and have no issues.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 17, 2018 at 10:30:54 pm

You really didn't need to zip a 50kb jpg file, but soe it goes.

I wouldn't exactly call that a "harsh" or unrealistic shadow at all judging where the light sources are. You have your "key" from above & side and your other light is well below the model. Are those AE lights or from an envioronment in E3D? If so, try a different map or orientation. Your object texture settings in E3D might be a factor, but I'd simply try adding another light more on the same plane as the model or a simple Ambient one. Be sure to check use comp lights in that case.

Return to posts index

ali brakat
on Mar 18, 2018 at 8:11:48 am

Hey there,
thank you for your help
this is the video i did
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mOz7kdNeQx9hA4m4gHbX1k5bXA1RCxtF/view?usp=...
it still have the same issue in the right and top corners
but it doesn't show with the other corners if you noticed i had to flip the model and present the Bluetooth and volume buttons reversed to avoid the hard edge that's the same light and every thing
i tried every thing, all the different lights it's the same issue is there other software that i can use to make the same video ( if any one have experience with other software that has more capabilities with 3d and also the compositing power of AE let me know )
the texture map i baked from 3ds max could this be the problem some how ?
thank you all again for taking the time to discuss this

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 18, 2018 at 1:56:48 pm

Hey Ali,
Now that I see it moving, & on the reflective surface plane, I'm thinking that it is a texture issue & not lighting at all.

Nice finished piece & product. Was looking around for something like this just last week in fact.

Return to posts index

ali brakat
on Mar 18, 2018 at 6:20:27 pm

Hello mark,
you are absolutely right,
I finally managed to fix it by just adding a small percent of reflectivity to the body material
Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 18, 2018 at 11:21:56 pm

You might check the objects UV settings if you revisit the piece. Can't recall the specific area but recall a Video CoPilot note about it some time ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]