FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accelerating clock ticking audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Whitney
Accelerating clock ticking audio
on Mar 16, 2018 at 12:31:40 am

Hey folks,
Hoping Michael Delaney still keeps an eye out here, but I know there are a number of other clever people here that can chime in.

I picked up Rift a few days ago to accomplish a particular task. I almost have that working but it's somewhat of a trial & error chore so hoping for some pointers on the math or a better technique involved with the POWer function for creating a sequence. Not opposed to a completely different direction either; this is just what I came up with after examining my available options.

What I'm wanting to do is create an audio track of a clock ticking but it gradually accelerates. Initially, I was hoping to use Audition but the CS6 version at least doesn't have any means of keyframing a speed ramp. So, what I've come up with is to isolate single “ticks” into 1 frame clips, duplicating them & using Rift to arrange the sequence. The ticks start at 1 sec. intervals and ramp up in frequency over 3370 frames, 24 frames/sec comp rate. I'd like them to end up about 4 ticks per second.

At a non accelerating pace, that works out to a bit over 141 ticks but would need more as the pace picks up. At 4 ticks per sec., that would be 561. My current technique is to start with all the tick layers aligned to the same in point then apply Rift using the Sequence function over the 3370 frame range using Frames as the unit & all Layer options selected. For the Linear setting, this gives me a perfect 1 tick per sec result, but now what's the best technique to get a predictable acceleration?

Applying the POW function using a number <1 (say .666) and Descending gives me an accelerating result, but the earlier layers are spaced further than 1 sec. apart and the tail is only 16 frames apart. A lower POW number makes that discrepancy worse at the head. I know I need more layers to accommodate the increasing rate, but how to figure that out predictably? My college math skills are just way too corroded over now to figure out what the specific functions being used might be to reverse engineer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Accelerating clock ticking audio
on Mar 16, 2018 at 1:34:30 am

Hi Mark, perhaps I'm being dense but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how you need it to sound. Do you need a regular, steady beat like a metronome ie. at the beginning of every second there is a tick, then another tick gets added at the half second, then another gets added so that the ticks sound at thirds of a second, then another is added so they sound at the quarter seconds? Or are you after an irregular beat as if, for example, you used footage of a clock (with sound) and you speed ramped the footage?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 16, 2018 at 1:46:28 am

No, just looking for a gradually accelerating ticking w/o the pitch changing that a speed ramp itself would do.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 16, 2018 at 4:33:09 am

If you have access to a music composition person, or program, you could sample the sound and then use "Repeats" and "Accelerando" to do what you need. Sorry, nothing else jumps to mind, however someone might be clever with loops and timing expressions even?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 16, 2018 at 6:44:42 am

Actually, I've a foley editor a friend proficient with ProTools who goes back to work Monday at Fox. Was looking for an alternate method just in case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]