FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Hardware for working with RAW footage in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pomphrey
System Hardware for working with RAW footage in After Effects
on Mar 14, 2018 at 1:35:28 pm

Hi all,

I do a lot of work with RAW footage in AE and its killing my system preview. So I need to have a system that can cope with RAW but not cost an arm or a leg (need them for general stuff). So far I have been looking at the following as I hear its better to have a faster processor, good ram and great harddrives to improve my workflow.

I am just perplexed and confused with what is the right decision to make on a new system.

So far I am looking at:

CPU
Intel Core i9-7900X 3.3 GHz 10-Core Processor - L3 13.75 MB - LGA2066 Socket - OEM

Graphics
PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Graphics Card

Harddrive
Prime (OS and software)
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Internal SSD - 2.5" - MZ-75E500 - SATA 6Gb/s

Second (for footage)
Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB Internal SSD - M.2 2280 - MZ-V6E1T0BW - PCIe 3.0 x4 (NVMe)

Third (for cache)
Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB Internal SSD - M.2 2280 - MZ-V6E250BW - PCIe 3.0 x4 (NVMe)

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 Memory Kit – Black

All advise is welcomed ☺

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: System Hardware for working with RAW footage in After Effects
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:18:57 am

First I'm curious about the need to work in RAW format. Can you elaborate?
I'm pretty sure that once you hit the zero key and the images cache for playback, you are no longer seeing a RAW set of pixels (even if you could see a raw set of pixels on an 8 or 10 bit screen).
Would it not be better to convert the RAW into a format that is more inline with what your output codec/colorspace is going to be?
If its a fidelity issue, have you looked at either the Acadamy ACES format or the ILM EXR format? Either of these will bring down the on-the-fly conversion issues you are seeing and reduce the processor overhead significantly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]