FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting Bezier Control Point is Awful in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Little
Selecting Bezier Control Point is Awful in AE
on Mar 13, 2018 at 5:26:22 pm

Ugh...I know this issue has been a problem for a while, but it's driving me bonkers!

Since there is no "direct select" tool like hitting A in Illustrator, After Effects can't sort out what I'm trying to click on with a shape layer. I'm attempting to animate a bunch of bezier lines on shape layers, which you can do, but it's obnoxious. Most of them are finished now, but they've been a nightmare - just moving a couple of points.

I can sometimes click and drag a control point, and other times it categorically refuses to let me click where I want. It selects it as an object and tries to move the entire thing, but actually clicking the control point I want is well nigh impossible at times. There has GOT to be a better way than all this guesswork and clicking around. Drilling down into CONTENTS > SHAPE > PATH sometimes helps, but come on!

/rant

help?

Return to posts index

Brandon Little
Re: Selecting Bezier Control Point is Awful in AE
on Mar 13, 2018 at 5:52:31 pm

FWIW, and to help you people from the FUTURE (future...future...future...echo....)

It's a lot harder to do this if your pen control points line up on the corners of a bounding box. Trying to work around this can be...challenging. It's a little easier if your endpoints don't line up with any of the corners.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 14, 2018 at 2:15:33 pm

Does it help if you manually switch to the Pen tool (G) instead of the Selection tool (V)?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brandon Little
on Mar 14, 2018 at 2:28:27 pm

Yes, that actually DOES seem to help. Slight risk of accidentally adding new bezier points, so it looks like switching back and forth with the Move tool helps.

Good tip, thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 14, 2018 at 11:32:33 pm

i was going to suggest the same...but i agree with the topic...animating the camera is a pain at times

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]