AE colour anomaly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Single
AE colour anomaly
on Mar 12, 2018 at 12:56:45 pm
Last Edited By Katie Single on Mar 12, 2018 at 12:58:23 pm

Hello, please help!
I'm having trouble with coulours in After Effects.
When I make a shape layer with my chosen colour (EB3D3E) it looks correct in the layer fill box, but much brighter in the toolbar fill box. This brighter version is the colour it turns out as when I export as Quicktime/GoProCineform.
How can I fix this please?
The people at Adobe tried but failed.
This is the first time I have encountered this. I am on a brand new PC (I am admittedly new to PCs), working in sRGB IEC...
Thanks in advance,
Katie

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: AE colour anomaly
on Mar 12, 2018 at 4:11:20 pm

Is there something we can't see on a layer above that's polluting with a transfer mode? In other words, if you make a new comp with just that shape layer & color does it still give the anomoly?

The EB3D3E value in the toolbar fill box matches the color I get BTW; it's the resulting shape color that's more muted that makes me suspicious. It sounds as if the muted color is what you're after though & why the render wouldn't match that is curious. What color depth is your Project set to?

Return to posts index

Katie Single
on Mar 12, 2018 at 4:25:08 pm

Thanks for responding! The comp contains only the one shape layer. I'm working in 8 bits.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 13, 2018 at 1:38:21 am

Are you linearizing the workspace in the project's color settings?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Katie Single
on Mar 13, 2018 at 10:14:06 am

No, it's not ticked.
I've changed the project settings/colour settings to none instread of sRGB and at least all the colours match now! It's not what I designed in Illustrator but it's consistant within AE.
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:16:35 pm

Might your Illustrator work have been CMYK instead of RGB?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 13, 2018 at 9:32:31 pm

Re: color not matching what you made in illustrator now that you have it set to linear in AE: There might be some color management in use in a few places - AE, Illustrator, the file format you save to, or even your monitor depending on the brand. So choosing a color by eye or by the numbers in Illustrator won't necessarily match by eye alone in another package where the same color management is not in use.
I'm not sure if Illustrator can embed the color profile like pshop can but keep in mind that embedded profile might be coming in to play as well.
And finally, sRGB is a pretty old color space and very limited (there are so few blues it is literally impossible to do an HD sized gradient from one side of the screen to the other without a band appearing). So when possible choose a color space with a little more... um ... space.

Return to posts index

Katie Single
on Mar 14, 2018 at 1:32:20 pm

Thanks for your help. This is very handy info. I've fiddles around with it and it seems to be much better.
Katie

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 14, 2018 at 11:34:33 pm

Are you sure your exposure settings are not uppecd...the little +0.0 beneath screen window

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]