FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expiriences with the iMac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Squadrazzino
Expiriences with the iMac
on Mar 12, 2018 at 12:30:30 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a new PC or Mac. Coming from a Macbook pro, I'd like to continue using Apple computer.

Most of my work is Motion Graphics and VFX (including Trapcode Suite) in After Effects. I also edit and Colour Grade 4k Videos in Premiere and do a lot of drawing in Photoshop. I'm still using CS6.

Important to me is a good display and a fast and stutterfree perfomance without having to pre-render the material in Premiere all the time and fast render times (out of After Effects and Premiere). Considering the time i spend on the individual programs, I'd say I'm a 60 % After Effects, 20% Premiere and 20%Illustrator/Photoshop user.

I figuered out, that i need specs like:

Intel i7, Quad Core, at least 3,4 GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia Graphic Card with at least 4GB

I wonder if there are some iMac users here, that could tell a bit about their expirience so far. Does the iMac (for example this one:

3,6 GHz Quad‑Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
1 TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 560, 4 GB

work well with 4K Video Editing in Premiere and heavy workload in After Effects? I know the Radeon Pro 560 is not as advanced as e.g. an Nvidia GTX1080, but do you notice significant stuttering or slow performance? I heard, for After Effects it's more important to have CPU than GPU, also there are some effects which need a good Graphic card.
Do you expirience Overheating problems?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Expiriences with the iMac
on Mar 12, 2018 at 3:55:15 pm

Do you intend to continue using CS6?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dennis Squadrazzino
Re: Experiences with the iMac
on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:29:31 am

Thanks for your answers. Yes, i intend to continue use CS6. I've worked with CC, but i did not see a lot of features that make me want to have the subscription model (which i don't like by the way).

Steve, as far as i heard, After Effects is not really taking advantage of a lot of cores. So it's great to see hear from your hands-on experiences with more cores.

It's the mix of great display and reasonable power that caught my eye on the iMac.

I was thinking about buying the 27"iMac (4,2 GHz Quad‑Core i7, 512 GB SSD, Radeon Pro 580 (8 GB),8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4) and replace
the RAM on my own with a lot more RAM.

Considering that i also need a new monitor i thought it was not a too bad idea, but after your posts I'm struggeling.

It's a hard decision, so I'd love to hear from some hands-on experiences.
If you have any other tips for a system that would fit my needs (Motion Graphics, Trapcode, 4k Editing, Photoshop drawing, nice Monitor) I'd also be happy to hear about that- even if it your personal favorite laptop or something like that.

I'm not a "Pro"Mac person, but i had a lot slow-down times when working on a clients Windows machine. But maybe it was not configured optimal (After Effects freezing, updates when i did not need them etc.).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Experiences with the iMac
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:49:26 pm

[Dennis Squadrazzino] "Yes, i intend to continue use CS6. I've worked with CC, but i did not see a lot of features that make me want to have the subscription model (which i don't like by the way)."

Can't blame you! I run AE CS 5.5 at home on a legacy machine. It does what I need.

Here's my concern -- brand-new machine with brand-new OS running software that's getting pretty long in the tooth. Things in the application tend to stop working the further one gets from the original OS.

I would nose around to find someone running CS6 on.... what is it now? High Sierra?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2018 at 3:56:11 pm

I've got both Mac and PC's sitting in front of me and I'm a die hard Mac guy from way back.... but. If you look at cost/performace its hard to stay in the Mac camp. We recently added a new big box to our arsenal with specs like 24 cores, running overclocked at nearly 4 ghz, 128gb of Ram and a not-too-big Nvidia. On the PC side that came in around $4500. On the Mac side it was pushing $12k!
As for the graphics card, while there are more and more features in AE taking advantage of the myriad Cuda cores on Nvidia, it's really the Ray tracing in Ae's 3D world that uses them. I think for Particular it's just the preview in the new Designer area that uses the cores. I haven't seen a huge difference in render times in the comp. For the kind of work we do we've found more physical cores have been better than more Cuda cores.
Re stuttering - We did have shredding problems on the big box at the beginning with Nvidia - and that was a first for us after dozens and dozens of Nvidia cards. It turned out to be a monitor incompatibility in one case and a digital vs analong DVI input in another. The Nvidia guys are stupid smart so you shouldn't see any issues. If you do it's probably not the card. Make sure to download the latest drivers from Nvidia and not from your card manufacturer.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:44:57 pm

We'll if you are going to say with CS6 keep in mind that it won't saturate either the processor or the ram like newer versions will. I don't remember if it was finally in AE2017 or 2018 but the first time I saw all my procs pegged and the ram filled to the brim I almost cried - finally after all these years! Now if they could just get their memory management system sorted, and y'know a proper paint.
If only adobe owned a preeminent paint package they could maybe borrow from.

Return to posts index

Dennis Squadrazzino
on Mar 14, 2018 at 8:58:00 am

Thanks you both for your answers. I still have the installation image for Yosemite, so i'm planning to use Yosemite on the iMac, if there is a problem. CS6 seems to have several issues on High Sierra. Not an ideal situation, but I really don't want to go with CC.

Maybe i will switch to Windows. Hope there will be a competitor for Adobe and After Effects soon!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2018 at 5:05:54 pm

[Dennis Squadrazzino] "Hope there will be a competitor for Adobe and After Effects soon!"

Oh, Amen, Brother!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:09:01 am

Re: Competitors to AE - Um, there is and have been for quite a while - although not at the same price point - Fusion, Nuke, Flame, Inferno, Shake, Natron, Combustion, Mistika; take your pick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]