FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3D Lighting Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garret Layman
Element 3D Lighting Issues
on Mar 10, 2018 at 5:55:18 pm

I'm trying to do something in Element that I've done in the past and should be a simple technique. Basically I just want 3D text to fly into the frame past the camera and go from black/blocking out the background to being lit when it comes into the area of the comp lights. For some reason I can't get Element to respond to the lights correctly. Basically there's always some amount of diffuse lighting on the text. I've made sure to turn off any additional lighting as well as turning off the environment influence. The comp lights will show specular hot spots and do affect the layer but I can't get the layer to completely black out without keyframing some obscure output settings. I feel like this should be pretty simple, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Element 2.2.2 on OSX El Capitan

Mac Pro
2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Element 3D Lighting Issues
on Mar 12, 2018 at 1:12:33 am
Last Edited By Mark Whitney on Mar 12, 2018 at 1:13:43 am

Element does get a bit fiddly when it comes to those sorts of things. It's probably something to do with the illumination setting on the text extrusion itself if you applied one of the preset bevels rather than the comp light settings although that can be a factor.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Element 3D Lighting Issues
on Mar 15, 2018 at 10:28:19 pm

Could you share a stripped down version of your project that demonstrates the problem?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]