FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced scan problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katayoun Jahromi
Interlaced scan problem
on Mar 9, 2018 at 1:39:21 pm

Hello, first of all, please excuse me for my poor English.

I work on After Effect projects that were sent to me by a graphic designer.
The compositions contain a footage on which one I added some text via After.

The footage is in interlaced scan, however when I import it on After it shows it to me in a progressive scan. I realize it when I read the clip in the Footage window, when I go field by field in the footage, there is no difference between the even and odd field. (When I read my clip in a 50i project on Avid, it shows me a difference between the even and odd field of each frame)

The problem is reflected in my exports. Indeed, I'm careful to select "Top field first" in the rendering settings and select an interlaced codec (here 1080i DNXHD SQ 8 bit), but when I read my export on Avid, I see that the footage is in progressive scan, while the text I added via After is in interlaced scanning.

I realized that I did not have this problem when I opened these projects on another computer.
But I have never had such problems before with my computer.
I also realized that when I import these projects into a project with which I was able to export interlaced clip, this problem disappeared ...

Do you have any idea of ​​what might have caused this problem? I have already done a tour of all my settings, without being able to find what could be the cause of this problem ...

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Interlaced scan problem
on Mar 9, 2018 at 3:42:02 pm

Your desciption leads me to believe the errors in interlacing took place before you received the project.

Graphic designers deal with interlacing only rately, if ever.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Katayoun Jahromi
on Mar 9, 2018 at 4:25:56 pm

Thank you for your answer Dave,

In fact, I think the problem comes from the project itself, but I don't understand why the problem disapear when I switch computer and when I import the project in another one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 9, 2018 at 7:00:19 pm

Some cameras shoot 1080 progressive footage, but record the progressive frame as two fields. The footage you received may be like that.

You should try interpreting this footage as progressive, with a field order of None, and render it as progressive, also with a field order of None. You can then see if it works properly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Katayoun Jahromi
on Mar 12, 2018 at 4:14:43 pm

Thank you Dave,

Actualy, the footage that I am talking about wasn't recorded with a camera. It's a map entirely created with After Effect and I am sure that it's in an interlaced scan (as I said, I can see both fields on Avid).

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2018 at 4:19:13 pm

It could have been rendererd out of AE with interlace or there could have been a dot pattern from CMYK printing on the original scanned art that is creating a moire with the screen pixels of the video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]