FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot a Title Card and Key Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Rubin
Shoot a Title Card and Key Question
on Mar 8, 2018 at 3:25:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm planning to shoot a title card and I was hoping people might have some ideas on the best way to approach this.

1. Stencil will be made from black material.
2. Diffusion behind the stencil.
3. Hazer in front of the stencil.
4. Light Shining through the back of the stencil.
5. Black Pro Mist filter on the camera.

The intention is for the word to be a light source. I may or may not also utilize a tilt shift lens.

The complication I am having, is for one of the uses of the title, I want to overlay it on an image.

I was going to:

1. Stencil Luma a layer of the footage
2. Track matte Luma Matte a second layer from the first layer.

This works with white on black graphics. But I'm afraid I'd lose texture at the edges of the image. Does anyone have any experience producing something like this?

I thought about a green screen stencil, but I'm afraid of the color bleeding into the letters.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Shoot a Title Card and Key Question
on Mar 8, 2018 at 3:53:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 8, 2018 at 8:46:07 pm

If you are not aware of the many ways you can use After Effects to achieve the same look you want without using photography, I strongly encourage you to investigate them.

If you ARE aware of AE's text capabilities you must have a good reason for shooting the text, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randy Rubin
on Mar 8, 2018 at 10:47:17 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I am aware and am inquiring about how to accomplish this in the manner describe.

Best,
Randy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2018 at 11:48:46 pm

Okey-dokey!

In addition to your proposed shot, I'd get an extra one without the hazer and the filter, with the text nice and sharp.
You would use it as a track matte to give you extra control over the final look of the composite, in a nested comp with the original. This allows you to use that nested comp using various blend modes, perhaps tossing on some extra blur if necessary.... you might even try the levels effect. I envision perhaps four or five layers of the nested comp to pull it off.

By getting your proposed shot alone, you're liable not to get the look you want and you'd have to re-shoot. This way, you stand a good chance of getting it on the first try.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]