FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilize ONLY rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tomas Medek
Stabilize ONLY rotation
on Mar 4, 2018 at 7:05:03 pm

Hello everybody ☺

Is there a way how to stabilize rotation ONLY? I have a 5 min timelapse of the ship comming to the harbour. The camera was mounted on the ship so now the horizon is bouncing and the ship is steady. I would like to stabilize horizon and let the ship bounce.

What ever I try (stabilize motion, warp stabilizer) I have no success. Ship was providing very complicated move and the trackpoints are comming out of the frame. But I do not want to stabilize all axis. I just want to keep horizon steady - rotation only.

Anybody to help me? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stabilize ONLY rotation
on Mar 4, 2018 at 10:34:02 pm

Do it by hand. It's time lapse video. Nothing else is going to work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 4, 2018 at 10:47:32 pm

It would require purchasing a very useful $50 plug-in but you might want to take a look at this:

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 5, 2018 at 5:09:04 pm

Do you have any two points of the harbor that can be tracked? The default tracker can stabilize rotation...

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Tomas Medek
on Mar 7, 2018 at 9:02:05 am

"Do you have any two points of the harbor that can be tracked?"

That is the problem. I don't have two points that stays in the frame all the time.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:40:28 pm

You could do a full stabilizing pass with Position and Rotation, and then just delete the Position keyframes.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 7, 2018 at 8:44:33 am

Horizons are great for pulling a rotation track off - even without any detail on the horizon.
Pre comp your shot with two thin vertical masks on either side of the shot where you have a clean horizon. So there will be two strips of image that run vertically and the rest will be your background color. Then, in the outer comp track the change in color at the horizon as it slides up and down in these two mask slots. You will only get y values in your rotation track but it means that your x track isn't sliding all over the place. Depending on the shot sometimes you have to use the same trick before you do the Y track (but with thin horizontal masks) and "stabilize" it left and right so your roll axis point doesn't drift around.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 7, 2018 at 5:51:58 pm

Ohh, this is a GREAT trick. I'm going to remember this one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]