FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping these particles looking like petals until fade - possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Scrivens
Keeping these particles looking like petals until fade - possible?
on Mar 4, 2018 at 4:59:03 pm

Start with a link to my example. The particles are from Particular. The actual particles are invisible in this, it's actually all from Aux trails.

As you can see when the particle streams start, they come out almost like petals. pointed ends, growing outwards. That's what I want.

However when the trails fade, the trail catches up to the point and fattens up and turns into blobs before dying/fading. And I don't want this. I want them to fade or die out still pointed. Either by fading out from the back first, or I don't know... something that leaves them more like pointed petals throughout the life of the trail.

You get the idea.

Whatever I change, it always seems to end up with the trails dying away as blobs. I suspect this is going to be a limitation with using particular to make this effect... in which case, any alternatives? I would much rather not end up having to animate this using 500 individual layers.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Have tried playing around with size over life and opacity over life to no avail. They help me to get the pointed petal starts, but doesn't help with the way the particles die off.

Return to posts index

Neil Scrivens
Re: Keeping these particles looking like petals until fade - possible?
on Mar 4, 2018 at 6:29:42 pm

Additional:
The petals aren't being made with the particle settings directly. Particle size is at zero. The petal effect is from the Aux System trails. Just fyi, as I asked this question elsewhere and it confused people that particle settings had no effect.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Keeping these particles looking like petals until fade - possible?
on Mar 6, 2018 at 9:38:43 am

It might be the nature of the fade that causes the blob. If you take a thin line and fade the end out it will look like the line comes to a point (we used to fake comet trails this way) The opposite can happen when you have a pointed shape and try and fade it out: the point becomes a blob in comparison to the much larger bulbous end having more definition.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do here.
It could also be a function of the aux system which will often immitate tapering trails with my comet tail trick above - so the more trails you get the more not-so-pointed sprites you get that are the same width along their length and they are just being faded to simulate a taper - but with so many they build up and you see that its just a fade across a constant width.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]