FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering changing file demensions after compression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hillaby
Rendering changing file demensions after compression
on Feb 28, 2018 at 6:56:25 pm

Quick rundown of the situation;

A client of mine is a minor league hockey team. They recently got a bunch of LED screens installed around the arena that they use to run sponsor ads throughout the game. One of these LED screens is a half ribbon running around half of the arena underneath the suites and has a resolution of 12288PX by 64PX. The client is requesting h.264 exports as everything else produces file sizes too large that cause their systems to lag. However, whenever I attempt an h.264 export, it compresses the file in a way that causes the file to be shrunk/ and adds black bars to the top and bottom of the video.

Anyone have any solutions that will allow me to get smaller file sizes without running into this problem where these black bars are sandwiching the actual content?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering changing file demensions after compression
on Feb 28, 2018 at 7:08:42 pm

H.264 compresses to a finite set of horizontal & vertical dimensions -- that's true at least for any Adobe application.

So you should render out lossless or a high-quality animation from AE, and then use something like Handbrake to compress the file to H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2018 at 9:32:06 pm

12288 pixels is wider than the H.264 standard allows, so Adobe Media Encoder will not produce this out-of-spec file.

However, ffmpeg doens't care and will happily produce a file with those specs. You could transcode a render with ffmpeg from the command line, or you could use render directly from Ae with AfterCodecs:
https://aescripts.com/aftercodecs/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 1, 2018 at 7:04:25 pm

You should be able to render out to a QT - something like PNG - then use AME to convert to mp4.
TC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 1, 2018 at 7:54:58 pm

[Todd Perchert] "You should be able to render out to a QT - something like PNG - then use AME to convert to mp4. "

Under ordinary circumstances, yes, but the H.264 spec limits output to 4096 pixels wide. AME complies to the spec and will not create a 12,288 px wide H.264 file.

Some other encoders will let you ignore the spec, but the Adobe implementation enforces it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 1, 2018 at 8:46:25 pm

But is doable. Like I said, render out something like a PNG QT then convert - If not AMe, Handbrake.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 1, 2018 at 8:50:18 pm

[Todd Perchert] "But is doable. Like I said, render out something like a PNG QT then convert - If not AMe, Handbrake."

Yes, I think we all three agree there!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]