FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moire On Third Visor Frit Of Car

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Cartwright
Moire On Third Visor Frit Of Car
on Feb 26, 2018 at 7:44:27 pm

Hi, all! This is my first post, so go easy on me.

I'm working on a commercial for a corporation and I have an inside car shot where the DP is racking between the rearview mirror and the driver's visor. I'm getting a terrible moire on the third visor frit (the little dots behind the review mirror) that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried cloning a frame, masking out the area where the dots are, and tracking the cloned frame into it's place; but because of all the elements in the shot, tracking the shape in a program like Mocha has not rendered suitable results. I'm having to keyframe the mask manually, which leads to imperfect edges around the roof of the car and the rearview mirror.

I've also tried shape tracking the moire and blurring it, eliminating it with color correction, masking and animating thin strips of pixels from previous frames where the moire doesn't exist, and I've tried moire removal plugins. What's making this all the more difficult is how many elements we're dealing with. The DP was handheld so we have camera shake. The camera/lens combo he used introduced distortion when racking. Also, there are trees behind the third visor frit; they're not moving, but because of the distance, there is noticeable parallax between the mirror and the trees.

I feel like I've tried everything, but I'm coming up empty. Below is a low quality version of the shot. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

12207_forcreativecowscenec.09lowquality.mov.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]