FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 microphones, 1 has audio too low

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim galer
2 microphones, 1 has audio too low
on Feb 24, 2018 at 1:09:57 am

So I got sent a video project I'm trying to help a friend with, and they had 2 wireless microphones going into one camera, they apparently did not sound-check very well and now we have one speakers volume much higher than the other.

This is a long video seminar, so cutting out each part where she speaks is not a good option.

What effects would I be looking at audio-wise to try and level out their speech volumes?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: 2 microphones, 1 has audio too low
on Feb 24, 2018 at 1:17:38 am

...using the volume and gain controls?

Return to posts index

jim galer
on Feb 24, 2018 at 2:15:38 am

Hmm... not sure if you are just being a smart ass but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume I didn't explain it right.

There are two People talking throughout this seminar, one of their microphones was recorded at a higher volume than the other one. But they are now merged onto a single audio track and that is all I have to work with.

So I'm trying to figure a way to boost the second person's voice without changing the first persons.

From searching, it seems adjusting volumes of particular frequencies might work since one was male and one was female. But I posted here to see any other suggestions regarding how to tackle this.

If it was something very short, yes, I could simply raise the volume when she was talking, but it was a a long seminar and that is ridiculously inefficient use of time to get it done.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 24, 2018 at 7:01:02 am

Can you use something else than After Effects for the job?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 26, 2018 at 6:29:34 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Feb 26, 2018 at 6:30:31 pm

I was being a smartass, because there was insufficient information in your post to do anything else.

If it was all recorded onto a single mono channel, then you're hosed. There is no way to screw around with selectively boosting certain frequencies without affecting the other voice. Don't let CSI fool you into believing that kind of thing is possible.

The rest of the folks on this thread are pointing you in the right direction; if there's a file out there that has the voices on two separate channels, you need to find it. If they're on the left and right channels of a stereo audio track, that works too; just make two copies, and make one copy play only the left channel and one only the right channel; then you can level them separately.

And also, yes,you need to choose something other than After Effects for this. AE is for VISUAL effects. Premiere would be ideal to work this out.

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Feb 24, 2018 at 11:39:09 am

When you say "two wireless microphones into one camera", is one speaker on the left channel and the other on the right channel or are they both recorded to the same mono track?

I would also suggest that after effects is not the tool to fix / balance audio. You may want to look at audition for levelling and cleaning up the track if you are using adobe suite products.

It all depends on whether you have separate tracks for each speaker and if you don't, whether they speak over each other. If you have a single track and they speak over each other then you can tackle it but it will be apparent that audio is being changed.

If you have a single track and they are not speaking over each other, splitting up the dialog onto different track and processing them separetly and raising the levels may help but you may also have issues with your noise floor, so it depends on the material.

Your best hope is that each speaker was recorded to separate channels in camera (i.e. one to left, one to right) and you can process them separatly, but watch that noise floor when you raise the quiet speaker.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCPX / Adobe CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2018 at 5:50:14 pm

A couple of things:
  • If 2 mics were used, chances are EXCELLENT that someplace this video file exists with 2 separate channels of audio. Having 2 channels of audio makes this really easy to fix! As it stands right now, with just a single mixed channel, it is a time-consuming and painstaking job. So someone has to find that 2-audio-channel file right away!
  • After Effects is probably the worst tool you could use for this job. It SUCKS at working with audio. Really stinks up the room. You need to use a real video editing application like Premiere Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]