FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE saving over other project on NAS

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
AE saving over other project on NAS
on Feb 23, 2018 at 3:31:11 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Feb 23, 2018 at 4:28:08 pm

We are using the most current version of After Effects CC. These are Macs connected in a shared storage environment using a QNAP NAS. Typically all of our project files - After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, etc - are saved to the appropriate job folder on the QNAP volumes.

Ever since the most recent round of updates in both macOS HS and Adobe CC, we are randomly experiencing cases where an active AE project is saving over some other existing project file. These two projects can be inside different job folders from each other and with different names. It does not change the name of the other AE project, but it does change the contents within the project file. So it's saving over the file, but retaining the original name of the other.

It always seems to happen when two or more artists have AE open at the same time and are actively working. It hasn't happened when only one operator has AE open. The affected projects seem to be those that started as one project and then variations were created using a "save as" command to create alternates with new names. It's those additional projects that seem to be the affected ones.

It doesn't happen with any other apps, like Premiere Pro, for example.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: AE saving over other project on NAS
on Feb 26, 2018 at 7:15:07 pm

Sounds like you need to change your workflow. I would suggest, instead of using the Save As command, you go to the finder, do a Command-D (duplicate) on the file, and then rename it in the Finder before opening it in AE.

I would imagine it's some kind of file indexing problem that is way above our pay grade to understand. So if you create the new file before the second instance of AE is even open, that could remove some of the potential conflicts with media caches and naming from the original source file carrying over.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2018 at 8:07:18 pm

[Blaise Douros] "Sounds like you need to change your workflow"

Yep. We are looking at those options.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 27, 2018 at 12:18:18 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was flippantly suggesting that EVERYTHING should change--just the part where you use Save As vs duplicating in the Finder. That's as much a workflow change as any other change!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2018 at 1:26:04 pm

[Blaise Douros] "Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was flippantly suggesting that EVERYTHING should change"

I didn't take it that way. No problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2018 at 11:54:13 pm

I'd bring this up with QNAP, too. It's possible the issue lies there, or it's possible they'd be able to get good logging/diagnostics that indicates exactly what's going on.

Incredibly frightening either way!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]