FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere and After Effects color issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Jahnig
Adobe Premiere and After Effects color issue
on Feb 22, 2018 at 1:34:21 pm

Hi,

I've been reading about this for days and i've found so much discussion about it but nothing that is a definite solution to the problem - not for me anyways. Would appreciate anything that can be offered on the subject so that i can try and get my head around this.

Basically, the color that i see and work with inside both Premiere and AE CC (latest version) looks great and matches the color codes that i take from branding guidelines but when i export and watch it, the only place that it looks the same is VLC - on everywhere else it looks faded. Quicktime, quick preview, vimeo etc.

I recently upgraded from a 2011 iMac to an iMac Pro so perhaps the bump in screen quality has made more apparent. I always knew there were some difference but the colors i'm seeing are very different.

This is what i see in AE https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8c2kbptn09cqd0/01_screen.png?dl=0
This is what exports and plays in QT https://www.dropbox.com/s/atdbep5ajow56pn/02_export.png?dl=0

-

This is a real problem because when i'm working inside CC it all feels right, but when i upload to Vimeo for clients to preview, they're seeing a desaturated, faded version of how it should be!

I've tried to export to H264, H265, Quicktime Animation and a few other formats but the consistency is that the exports will look good in VLC or if re-imported back into AE - but they look washed out if watched using Quicktime or uploaded to Vimeo. Presently, I understand the problem to be how Quicktime/Vimeo etc. reads the exported file because they are not interpreting the video correctly. Am i correct in saying that?

-

My ultimate goal is to have the colors inside Premiere matching the colors once uploaded to Vimeo without having to apply an effect to reach that outcome. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Adobe Premiere and After Effects color issue
on Feb 22, 2018 at 2:07:37 pm

[Sean Jahnig] "My ultimate goal is to have the colors inside Premiere matching the colors once uploaded to Vimeo without having to apply an effect to reach that outcome. Any ideas?"

Yeah. Give up. It's not happening at the moment. Basically browser video playing is a bit of a mess and you will get different results in different operating systems and different video services. IF you could lock this down to a single service, browser and OS you could probably create an offset LUT or correction so it will look the same when viewed exactly on that but that's pretty much it.

Also Quicktime Player is notoriously bad with color accuracy.

Return to posts index

Sean Jahnig
on Feb 22, 2018 at 8:08:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Tero. If you were to put your finger on the exact problem - what would it be?

Hard to believe in this day and age there can't just be a solution.

Is there no format (regardless of file size) that is just consistent in terms of colour?

I exported a JPEG sequence which seemed to be much better. I'm trying to export that into an H264 file, will report on my findings, hopefully there's any improvement.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 23, 2018 at 4:50:19 am

[Sean Jahnig] "If you were to put your finger on the exact problem - what would it be?"

Video displaying is not standardised between browsers, services and different operating systems.

[Sean Jahnig] "Is there no format (regardless of file size) that is just consistent in terms of colour?"

There are a lot of formats that are great, but all bets are off when they are uploaded to the internet because of the reasons stated in my last post.

Return to posts index

Sean Jahnig
on Feb 23, 2018 at 7:36:50 am

Great - thanks for that feedback.

I stumbled across a post that talks about using a custom H264 exporter to include a gamma 2.2 tag which apparently results in a standard H264 file that looks the same everywhere - is that related or am i missing something?

This is the article https://myth.li/2010/07/how-to-fix-the-h264-gamma-brightness-bug-in-quickti...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]