FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tab stops?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Peterson
Tab stops?
on Feb 18, 2018 at 11:03:58 pm

Is there any way of setting tab stops on a text layer? I've never been able to find the capability -- but then again I'm in the novice stage when it comes to AE (even though I've been using it for almost 20 years).

I know I can (and often do) use Illustrator for aligning text, but I have purchased several sports graphics templates for player stats that add motion to the text layers, and trying to replace several (up to 100 in one case) text layers with a single AI file doesn't always result getting the motion to look good.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Nope! Sorry!
on Feb 19, 2018 at 3:42:56 pm

AE has never had the capability of using tab stops like a word processor. It may never have it.

Those templates you have come kind of close to the workings of a broadcast character generator, but certainly not close enough. That's the advantage of purpose-built hardware.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
Re: Nope! Sorry!
on Feb 20, 2018 at 1:08:29 am

I wouldn't expect a full-blown page-layout capability--just some simple tab stops would suffice.

The sports template I just purchased has 30 main comps. One of them has 100 separate text layers for entering stats-- 1 row for each of 10 players, then 9 columns of stats, all to be entered one stat at a time. If I could set tabs, I could just have 10 single rows and put all stats in at the tab stops to line them up. Fortunately, this one is set up with a motion that DOES allow me to do it in Illustrator, but there are similar comps that put the text layers in motion to bring them on to the screen, and trying to bring it all in with a single AI file just doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Nope! Sorry!
on Feb 21, 2018 at 7:07:28 pm

I feel your pain, but you're STILL trying to replicate the kind of sports graphics you see on TV.
Such graphics are created in hardware-based systems running specialized sports software.

You have AE, and even with a template there isn't any way you can get the same kind of speed of layout you'll find in a purpose-built system. It's a right royal pain, but that's life.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]