FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video tutorials

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darko Atlagic
Video tutorials
on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:24:11 am

Hi people. Can somebody help me to locate on the internet the best video courses/tutorials where I can learn:
1) Puppet pin tool
2) Animating a camera
3) Mask and
4) 12 priniples of animation.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video tutorials
on Feb 17, 2018 at 3:57:01 pm

I don't know about those 12 principles, but Lynda.com is pretty much the AE training gold standard.

BUT....

Your post leads me to believe you assume you can learn just the techniques you want and you'll be successful. Well, I have five whole American Dollars that say you'll fail if you make that assumption. AE is deceptively complicated. You MUST learn the basics.

You wouldn't try to master Calculus without knowing Arithmetic, Algebra and Trigonometry first. Likewise, you need to know the AE Basics to do many of the things you wrote about.

There are excellent and free AE Basics tutorials right here on the COW. Also on the Adobe web site.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darko Atlagic
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:15:20 pm

Thanks for reply! Sure I already know the basics, I'm already using AE together with DUIK to rig a character imported from Adobe Illustrator. As my current project require knowing those techniques, I have to learn using them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2018 at 5:17:19 pm

We get a lot of people here who think to themselves, "I'm new to After Effects, but difficult can be?"

You KNOW how difficult it can be!

I would imagine there are DUIK tutorials on the web page where you got the script. I would not use any old tutorial that appears in a Google search. I'd get my information from the person who made it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darko Atlagic
on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:04:26 pm

Ok, thanks!

Is there anybody else who can put links regarding those topics from personal experience?

Also, additional question: is it possible to create highlights and shadows OVER my characters using mask? I'm not talking about shadows behind, but shadows OVER my character.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kris Sheehan
on Mar 19, 2018 at 9:14:33 pm

I'm going to second what Dave said. Lynda.com is the place to go for AE training. It's actually where I first learned how to use Duik. they have a really great (7 hour long) course that walks you through every function of it.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 20, 2018 at 7:01:28 am

The hilights etc have to be baked into the layers that you use the puppet tool on (Duik or not - You can do everything Duik is doing without it - he has just made an elegant interface and pipeline that codes the expressions for you and links dependent layers - so it's not doing anything magical - its a great script but doesn't change the puppet tool one bit)
Puppet tool makes a mesh of the pixels and if the hilight or shadow is not part of those pixels they will not move in concert with how the puppet tool bends the underlying image.
If you want an edge light I would recommend an inside glow after the puppet tool. You can animate the direction the light is coming from to keep up with the deforming object. Same goes for the shadow (just a dark inside glow).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]