FORUMS: list search recent posts

Water Drops Affect for Adobe After Affects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Bilotta
Water Drops Affect for Adobe After Affects
on Feb 16, 2018 at 11:33:50 pm

I have question concerning the effect that I want to make. I want to make a video that explores the artistic affects slow motion water clips. For one portion of the video, I am trying to make water drops that look like they are floating in midair. The affect I am trying to achieve is something similar to the scene from Clockstoppers (1st link, at around 1:59-2:02) I am going to get the footage for pouring water, but I am going to get footage of someone spilling up from a cup. That's what I want to animate. I am trying to animate something in accordance to what is specs are available with the program (2nd link). How could i go about doing this?

Thank you for all your help

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Water Drops Affect for Adobe After Affects
on Feb 17, 2018 at 12:08:55 am

You need to forget about generating any raindrops in After Effects--the VC tutorial is designed to simulate droplets on glass. I would suggest taking high-speed photography of the water splash you want, either against black or against green screen, and compositing it into your scene using the 3D camera tracker.

After Effects can't build fully 3D water simulations, so you'll need to fake it with 2.5D sprites. You might be able to make a particle simulator work for low-detail stuff, but for any closeups where you really need it to look like water, an actual shot of a water droplet is going to work better. It'll take time to build the scene, but I think it could be done.

Think of it like combining your shot with a parallax photo treatment (look it up if you don't know how to do this).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Water Drops Affect for Adobe After Affects
on Feb 17, 2018 at 12:16:12 am

I agree with Blaise -- shooting the real thing is the way to go. He gives the reasons why AE isn't up to the task.

I'll just point out that when you shoot the real thing, it looks real because it IS real.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]