FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to achieve frame-by-frame paint in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mullins
Best way to achieve frame-by-frame paint in After Effects?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:50:19 pm

Hi everybody,

So this is the style the bosses want to emulate, frame by frame elements on top of video:

I've tried using Paint n Stick plugin in After Effects (just updated to v2) and while I really, really wanted it to work I have had so many problems with it crashing After Effects.

Is Photoshop video timeline the best way to do this style? Anyone have best practices for this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best way to achieve frame-by-frame paint in After Effects?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 9:40:11 pm

Check your version of AE in the About dropdown. If it's version 15.0, you have two options.

You can get version 15.1 which is a bug fix... but it may not fix your particular set of bugs.

-- OR --

You can revert to the final version of AE CC 2017 (aka version 14), which has all the bugs wrung out of it that it's going to get, and which is more stable.
I got that particular version a week before version 15 was released, and I haven't had any problems.
My work doesn't demand the new (and frequently unreliable) sparklies in version 15, so I'm content.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
on Feb 16, 2018 at 11:33:13 pm

Thanks Dave!

We are required to be on the latest version of AE at work, so I can't revert. Unfortunately it crashed twice today while I was trying to use Paint n Stick. The devs did make a patch for us last year, but boss kind of lost confidence in the plug in and didn't want to risk using it for the project with a tight deadline. So I need to be sure it works before trying to convince my boss to use this over photoshop.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2018 at 12:10:17 am

Here's a thought -- why not have both version 14 AND 15 on your machine?
Adobe allows it, and version 14 project files will open in version 15 if needed.

As you seem to have experienced, version 15 isn't much to write home about.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
on Feb 19, 2018 at 8:25:41 pm

I used to have 14 and 15, but eventually management wanted everyone on the team to be on v15 only. I guess I could ask my boss if just the two of us on the team who will be animating on this project could use v14 with Paint and Stick and I'll do some longer tests in Paint and Stick to see if I run into any crashes or other issues.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 19, 2018 at 8:33:44 pm

Don't forget that you can backsave a version, so the work you may have started in V. 15 quite possibly can be salvaged in V. 14.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]