FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could someone give me some info on this technique?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Plant
Could someone give me some info on this technique?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:01:32 pm

Hi there,

Could anybody tell me what this specific technique is called, or even better, give me a link to a tutorial for it? It's in the following video:

I'm talking about the part at 51 - 58 secs, where the video footage turns into an animated 3d model, and then back to video again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Could someone give me some info on this technique?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 4:55:57 pm

The camera was matched(can be done in C4D, AE, other programs) for end position of the video shot(where it transitions to the 3d model, and the start position of the 2nd video shot(where model dissolves back to video). After that it's a matter of building the 3D models, animating and than keyframing the camera between the two points.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jack Plant
on Feb 16, 2018 at 5:24:14 pm

Thanks for replying John.

So they've built the 3d model from scratch and scaled it perfectly to the athlete/equipment on the video? I thought maybe they'd converted the video into a wire mesh kind of thing? Do you think they've green screened the background? Otherwise, how would they place the 3d model onto it?

Apologies for all the questions!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2018 at 6:03:33 pm

They did a lot more than that in the 3D application -- they had to match the inevitable lens distortion!

A clean plate of the treadmill running at the same speed the real-world subject used would have done the trick for the 3D model. They also used the real-world subject to time out the 3D animation.

At best, After Effects may only have been used to build the composite.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 16, 2018 at 6:06:36 pm

Look at the background when the 3D model appears. It's a fully 3D-animated shot. They just tracked the camera, matched the camera movement, and placed the 3D model to match. After that, it's just a matter of crossfading between the 3D shot and the real shot. Nothing complicated about it, other than hiring the right person to do the modeling and animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]